access denied to D drive

Discussion in 'Software' started by TLFricchione, Dec 6, 2009.

1. TLFricchione

TLFricchione Private E-2

I have a stop error on my computer were I get a blue screen and the computer does nothing but consistantly reboot. I load the computer from the installation CD (windows XP) and go to repair. the file that i need to replace the the user32.dll file, Iam able to rename (i read online and make it user32.bak)it but when i try to expand a new user32.dll from the cd-rom to get a new copy of it I get "access denied" when im in the D drive. please Help! Im in process of purchasing a new computer because i know that this hard drive is old but i really want to get all of my pictures off on it. help!help!

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

:wave Welcome to Major Geeks! :major

I think the reason you're getting the Access Denied error is because you aren't specifying where to extract the DLL file to, so it's automatically trying to extract it to D: which is the CD drive, and obviously it can't extract to the CD drive. I'm not sure of the exact command, but I think it's close to this:
    extract_/c_D:\%path and filename on CD%_C:\%destination path and filename%
    The "/c" tells the system to copy and extract the specified file. Where you see a "_" is a space so do not actually type an underline. More info about the extract command can be found here.

You can save your data in other ways. If you have an external hard drive, a 2nd hard drive, or 2 CD drives and one is a burner, you can boot to a "live CD" like the UBCD4Win or a bootable Linux CD like Knoppix. You can then copy your data to the external or 2nd hard drive, or burn your data to a CD/DVD using the 2nd CD/DVD drive. The UBCD4Win loads to an environment that runs just like Windows, so it won't be foreign and weird, plus it has tons of useful applications built-in (like burning software and file copying software and data recovery software). Knoppix is a Linux OS that runs exclusively from CD. It's visually and functionally similar to Windows, but is also different in many ways too. Personally, I recommend the UBCD4Win for most people as it is easier to navigate due to the familiar Windows interface. The how-to-build-the-CD guide can be found here.

Good luck! Let us know how things work out!
    :-D

[dlb]

Last edited: Dec 9, 2009
  3. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

OOOOPS! Upon doing more research, I see the info I posted above was wrong and I couldn't change it because I waited too long!!!

I got this info from Microsoft Knowledge Base article KB314058:
    The link to the full article about advanced usage of the Recovery Console can be found here.

Sorry about the misinformation about the "extract" command above, I meant to put up info about the "expand" command and I got mixed up. :-o rolleyes Sorry. However, all the info about the UBCD4Win and Knoppix is 100% accurate, and I have personally used the UBCD4Win countless times to rescue data from non-booting hard drives.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds