access denied when installing device driver winxp

Discussion in 'Software' started by dragonlady, Mar 5, 2006.

1. dragonlady

dragonlady Private E-2

I have had enough now! I did a repair install of xp and not only did it knock out service pack 2, but my graphic driver too (I have a dell pc). No worries I thought (Hmm) just re install. But hey presto! Access denied keeps appearing on both the update and the driver. I then went on a search to sort it out, downloading registry fixes etc, but the computer says "no"!! Do you have any ideas?

2. snakefoot

snakefoot Sergeant Major

Are you using Windows XP Pro or Home ?

When do you receive the access denied ?
    - When accessing the folder containing the install files for SP2 or the drivers
    - When double-clicking the install files.
    - When the install files are loading (showing logo)
    - When having confirmed that the install should proceed

3. dragonlady

dragonlady Private E-2

sorry not specific enough - just shows how fed up I am! I am using xp home edition - SP2 throws up access denied when it's half way through trying to load after clicking on the automatic update icon, and directly from microsoft update site. I've also get it when trying to reload my graphics driver. It starts to load and again half way through it stops and says access denied. I have looked to be sure that the reinstall hasn't decided I'm not an administrator but that's all ok. I am more fed up with the graphic card driver not loading 'cos I'm on 16 bit colour and a huge screen (640 x 480). This happens which ever way I try to load it either, using setup for the driver or asking xp to reinstall via the device manager.

Thank you for your help with this.

4. snakefoot

snakefoot Sergeant Major

5. krit86lr

krit86lr Corporal

It sounds like you don't have administrator access. Logon as Administrator and see if that helps.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds