Access To Asus Recovery After Clean Install?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Mimsy, Feb 24, 2017.

1. Mimsy

Mimsy Superior Imperial Queen of the MG Games Forum

So I just bought me a shiny ASUS laptop for my birthday. It's beautiful and awesome, but regrettably has bloatware coming out of both ears and oozing out of its nostrils.

It has occurred to me that this bloatware can be easily removed by creating a Windows 10 install USB and reinstall just the OS that way. But now I'm wondering: Does anyone know what will happen to the ASUS Recovery partition on the laptop if I do this? I'm leaning towards it being removed by the installer, but some OEMs write-protect their recovery partitions, so... does anyone know?

2. StruldBrug

StruldBrug Sergeant

I read the article here
    It makes me think ASUS provides a safe way to clean out the first partition, volume C, while leaving the rest intact. Thereby, the recovery partition can remain untouched. You might try rebooting with F9 and see what choices you get.

Mimsy likes this.
  3. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

The ASUS recovery 'factory settings' partition is completely separate from the system drive partition. So removing anything you dont want wont touch that recovery partition. If you ever use that recovery partition it will simply reinstall the laptop to the state it was in when purchased.
    Removing the bloatware now is best done with a good uninstaller (Revo/Ashampoo/IoBit/Geek).
    If you want to avoid using the Recovery Partition in future then you should simply use the inbuilt Win 10 back up features and keep system back ups on an external drive.

Mimsy likes this.
  4. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

Mimsy likes this.
  5. Mimsy

Thanks everyone! It's been too long since I dealt with computers with pre-installed operating systems.

Iobit it is. :)

6. Mimsy

Just reporting back that Iobt Uninstaller took care of every single "bonus" Microsoft app that I wanted to get rid of. Kept it installed, and threw in the same company's Malware Fighter for good measure.

Currently creating a fresh back-up of my old Win7 computer, and planning to restore my personal files onto the new laptop. Next step after that: Partition off a section for Linux Mint. :)

Eldon likes this.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds