Accessing an Old Laptop w/Dead Screen

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by xcalibr39, Jan 28, 2012.

1. xcalibr39

xcalibr39 Private E-2

My friend has a 'new' refurb XP Pro laptop and an old Vista Home Pro laptop with a dead screen. She wants to transfer files from old to new machine. I read I need a 'crossover' Ethernet cable, but AFAICS this requires the old screen to be working, and to fire up the transfer wizards on both machines. My best vague notion is to buy a cheap monitor to connect to the old machine via USB. Would this work? Or are there any better (and cheaper) solutions out there? (We're both low-income pensioners. VERY low-income <g>)

2. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

3. xcalibr39

xcalibr39 Private E-2

Many thanks for the answer, tgell. I'll see if I can find an online video on how to open the old Tosh, to see what tool(s) I'll need.

4. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

This site has a lot of Toshiba guides. http://www.irisvista.com/tech/ Look for a similar model number. You may not have to do all the steps you just want to find a picture that shows the location of the HD and figure out the easiest way to get to it.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds