Accessing files of my laptop harddrive

Discussion in 'Software' started by Freexe, Sep 1, 2006.

1. Freexe

Freexe Private E-2

My laptop has recently died (not sure of the cause) and I've taken out the hard drive and hooked it up to another machine to try and retrieve my files.

The files in My Documents (more specifically, my user directory \Documents and Settings\user_name\) are inaccessible.

Is there a way to retrieve these files?

Thanks for any help you can give
    Richard

2. tunered

tunered MajorGeek

Im not that good with laptops but i think you would have better luck hooking it up to a desktop as a slave, but you will need an adapter. ed

3. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Also you can if the OS is XP take ownership of the file or folder http://support.microsoft.com/Default.aspx?kbid=308421 its a common occurance if you have removed a HD from one PC and are trying to access its files on another or you have multiple partitions/HDs and have re-installed the OS.

5. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

6. Freexe

Freexe Private E-2

The hard drive is fine, is it possible that that area of the drive is encryted?

Thanks for the suggestions, I will try them

7. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

If you get the below message then the link I supplied will help.
    Basically what happens in on each install of XP it creates a security ID, altho you may still used the same user name and password the actual install ID will change too, and its this that stops you accessing your files on another HD or Partition that was created with a different install and ID, so taking ownership with your new install, gets you past that issue.

If you have used EFS ( encryption ) on those folders then sadly without having firstly backed up your data encryption certificate then your out of luck. Folder names are not in green by any chance?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds