Accessing Gmail in Windows Live

Discussion in 'Software' started by stickman, Feb 13, 2012.

1. stickman

stickman Private E-2

Can anyone help me? I have been all over the internet trying different solutions and none work. Is there a a working fix to allow me to access my Gmail in Windows Live?

I have Windows XP, SP3, Firefox 9, Windows Live Mail 2009 and running Verizon DSL.

Thank you.

2. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

3. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

Or, enable POP in gmail. Either POP or IMAP can be used to get your gmail using Windows Live Mail. If you are using only one computer to access your email and you have no desire to access your gmail via web browser, then POP would fill your requirement. Normally, setting up an email account as a POP, or POP3, account means the messages are downloaded to your computer and deleted from the mail server. However, you could set Windows Live Mail to leave a copy on the server.

4. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

I've wondered about this too.... thanks for the info!

5. stickman

stickman Private E-2

Tried IMAP and POP3 set ups. Neither will sync. Any other ideas.

Thanks.

6. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

Did you sign in to your gmail account via web browser and enable POP? You need to do that before you'll be able to receive gmail in any email client. Here's a reference on enabling POP for your gmail account: http://support.google.com/mail/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=13273

While you'll viewing the above page, you can also click the link for Configure your POP client and check your POP settings in Windows Live Mail.

7. stickman

stickman Private E-2

Did all that. Could it be because I am using Windows XP and Live 2009?

Anyway thanks for your help!!

8. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

No, that is not relevant. Can you post screen prints of your account setup screens in Windows Live Mail, particularly the General, Servers, and Advanced tabs? We may need to go through the account setup step by step.

Another reference on account setup: http://support.google.com/mail/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=13287

Edit: I'm using port 465 for the outgoing server.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2012
  9. stickman

stickman Private E-2

The screen shots are attached.

Attached Files:

• Gen.jpg
      Gen.jpg
      File size:
      75.3 KB
      Views:
    • Ser.jpg
      Ser.jpg
      File size:
      78.9 KB
      Views:
    • Ad.jpg
      Ad.jpg
      File size:
      71.9 KB
      Views:
  10. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

You screen captures look OK. I see you set up the account in Windows Live Mail as IMAP. I thought you were going with POP. But, since you want to use IMAP, have you enabled IMAP for you gmail account by signing in to your gmail account via web browser, going to your account settings, and enabling IMAP? If you already enabled POP in your gmail account, you can cancel that; enabling POP and enabling IMAP are separate, independent settings.

11. stickman

stickman Private E-2

I tried POP, but have the same problem. Could it be a firewall issue? I have McAfee and Verizon router both running firewalls.

12. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

Please post a screen capture from the gmail screen where POP and IMAP can be enabled.

13. stickman

stickman Private E-2

Info you requested.

Attached Files:

14. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

You said you tried POP but your images do not show POP as being enabled.

15. stickman

stickman Private E-2

I changed settings back to POP3.

Attached Files:

• Pop.jpg
      Pop.jpg
      File size:
      93.6 KB
      Views:
  16. stickman

stickman Private E-2

Usafveteran thanks for all your help. I kept playing with my firewalls. It's my Verizon Model 7500 router that is blocking my Gmail. I first turned off my firewall and it worked. Next I put the firewall on the lowest settings and it works. Medium does not. I don't like it on low. I am trying to config a port forwarding to allow the mail to go through. Do you know what the Rule settings should be?

I am assuming you are a Air Force Vet going by your user name. I am too. Retired after 20.

Thanks for your help.

17. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

Your image indicates you enabled POP on 5/13/09. Yet, back in reply #7, you implied you had just enabled it. Please clarify the history of your usage of your gmail account. Why did you enable POP back in 2009 if you've never used an email client to get your gmail? Have you ever used an email client other than Windows Live Mail for this account?

18. stickman

stickman Private E-2

I just enabled it. That's the date of the oldest email in the inbox. I have it working. It's my Verizon router firewall. please read my previous post.

Thanks.

19. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

I'm not familiar with Verizon routers so I don't think I can help with that. My router is a D-Link and the config screens for my router and yours are probably very different. The port #s for a POP gmail account are 465 for outgoing mail, i.e., SMTP, and 995 for incoming, i.e. POP3. So, I think you'd need to figure out how to allow those ports to remain open in your router. You might post your question in http://forums.verizon.com/.

P.S. Yes, I'm an Air Force vet but got out after my first enlistment term.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds