Accessing old dos files in xp pro

Discussion in 'Software' started by Den, Jul 8, 2005.

1. Den

Den Private First Class

A friend of mine has an old dos mail list type program on a floppy disk which he can no longer access and needs the info. desperately. He no longer has access to win 95 or dos. The files end with TML CML DML. Anyone know of a program to open these files on xp pro. Already tried compatibility mode with no luck. Thanks
    Den

2. theefool

theefool Geekified

3. Den

Den Private First Class

Thanks for the reply theefool. Tried notepad = only gibberish. I can find nothing in the hyperlinks that would help him to open and print those member name lists. This is an old dos program that he used long ago to make a list of members of a club and now he needs to print that list. And as I said he no longer has access to a computer that runs this old dos stuff.
    Den

4. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

There must be someone nearby, or a friend, who still has W98 or W98SE, on a PC. Any computer clubs ? Get on the radio and broadcast an appeal. There are programs that will display floppy data using W98SE. Search for dm.com. My copy is dated 22/3/1990. As a last resort, PM me with your email address. Don't post it here, and we can sort it out if he is willing to email me a copy of the file. If it fits on a floppy it cannot be more than 1.44mb in size. Bazza.

===

5. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

Wouldn't WINE in Linux be able to run this program? Also what is the name of the program that he is trying to run? Have you tried running on WinXP in Compatibility mode? Also, you could try booting up with a Win95 boot disk, or even a Dos6.x boot disk that you can get from http://bootdisk.com.

6. Shadow_Puter_Dude

Shadow_Puter_Dude MG Authorized Malware Fighter

7. theefool

theefool Geekified

Even in the msdos, pcdos, etc.. days, the only extensions you can run are .exe, .com, and .bat.

None of the provided extensions even relates to these.

8. bigbazza

Often you can view other extensions, but not run them. If you can view then maybe you can salvage some names and addresses. Bazza

===

9. bigbazza

10. bigbazza

Try googling on
    " tml OR cml OR dml suffix"
    as well as
    " tml OR cml OR dml" and "suffix"
    for more possibilities. Baz

11. Den

Den Private First Class

Thanks everyone. I just spoke with him on the phone and he thinks he knows someone with an older machine and still uses dos. He will find out tonight when his friend gets back from out of town. I sure hope so and appreciate the help. I may be back.
    Den

12. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

He does not need the older machine, if he can use the software that Shadow_Puter_Dude posted, or even setting up with Dos. If you load the software in and run from a Command Window, it should run.

13. AMDxp

AMDxp N5638J's #2 Fan!

Have you tried running the program from CMD.EXE, in xp, its a DOS Emulation mode and may work ..

14. Den

Den Private First Class

Well his friend got back and all is well now. He is back in dos heaven. I did manage to open some of the necessary files eventually. The DML and TML files using WinRar which I had forgotten was on one of my other machines. Never was able to open all the TML and no CML files. But did get the important ones though. Better some than none I guess. Thanks ALL.
    Den

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds