Accidentally deleted Driver partition of HD

Discussion in 'Software' started by karenzajade, Jun 20, 2013.

1. karenzajade

karenzajade Private E-2

So after using many downloads and tutorials from MajorGeeks etc to try to rid malware/virus from my boyfriend's laptop, I burnt a windows install CD, saved all photos, files, etc to a thumb drive, and wiped everything out. My mistake, I also deleted the HD partition with all the drivers. The new windows install CD I burnt didn't have them. All I want is to find a driver to allow me to connect to the internet, whether by ethernet cable or wifi, I don't care either way. I'm fairly confident from there I can figure the rest out. I tried getting drivers from an HP website (exactly which one, I don't recall at the moment, it was last week, and it took me a pretty long time to find the site) but after downloading different ones, I couldn't get any to successfully install. I hate asking for help, but I am as a last resort... he keeps trying to tell me he'll take it somewhere, which I hate the thought of, because he's not used to mac and doesn't like using my computer anymore. His computer is:

HP Pavilion G7 Notebook PC 1150-US
    Intel Core i3 M370 @2.40
    Chip type: Intel Ironlake Mobile (relevant?)
    Windows 7 home ed, 64 bit

Please and thank you for any help/guidance you can give me!!!

2. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

Can you download Speccy and run it on the laptop? Then save the report as a text file and post the results back here as an attachment. This will list the Network card(s) and we may be able to locate the necessary drivers. :)

3. karenzajade

karenzajade Private E-2

Speccy Snapshot....

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2013
  4. mdonah

My Bad. :-o I neglected to mention the fact that Speccy detects the valid Windows Product Key and actually displays it in the report. I should have told you to delete that Serial number line in the text file before you posted it to prevent an unscrupulous person from using it and messing up the Activation/Registration. I'm really sorry about the omission.

The Ethernet is Intel and since you can't run the Intel Driver Update Utility on the laptop because it's not connected to the internet I've got to refer you to the Intel Download Center.

5. mdonah

I also found this page. Scroll down to the Driver - Network section and select the top one (version 15.1.0.18). If that doesn't work, select version 14.2.

6. karenzajade

karenzajade Private E-2

I do believe the Intel Download Center is what I found last week, maybe I just kept choosing the wrong things to download? The other drivers you linked to are downloading now....crossing my fingers:) So would you recommend editing and deleting the attachment from my post?

7. karenzajade

karenzajade Private E-2

So that was the driver set I downloaded and tried last week, when I went to install it asked if I wanted to write over the existing (said yes), I also tried the earlier version, what happens is a window pops up after installation and says this may not have installed correctly, and there's two choices, reinstall with recommended settings, or it is installed correctly....at this point it has to be something I am doing wrong???

8. mdonah

I don't know that you can do either. Maybe the Forum Administrator or one of the upper echelon moderators can.

9. mdonah

Are you uninstalling first via Device Manager before installing/reinstalling?

There's one other thing I thought of — On MY particular computer, there's an Intel chipset driver that HAS to be installed BEFORE any other drivers. Since the NIC on the HP laptop is an integrated Intel chipset, it may be necessary to install it BEFORE any other drivers.

10. karenzajade

karenzajade Private E-2

Since I deleted all drivers, I'll bet the Intel chipset driver isn't there either....

11. karenzajade

karenzajade Private E-2

So I downloaded the chipset driver onto the thumb drive, ran as administrator, and got the same "this might not have installed correctly" pop-up window.....

12. mdonah

Sorry, karenzajade. At this point, the situation has gone beyond my limited capabilities. I don't really know what's going on. :( Hopefully, someone with more expertise will jump in and save the day for you. :)

13. pwillener

pwillener MajorGeek

So what are the devices that are not working yet?

Is the network adapter working? If not, what is its exact model?

14. mdonah

Her NIC, neither ethernet nor wifi.

I asked her to run Speccy (I neglected to tell her to delete the Serial Number line prior to posting the results as an attachment). All Speccy shows is "intel".

15. pwillener

pwillener MajorGeek

Can you provide us with the hardware id of that network adapter (Device Manager, right-click on the Device, Properties, Details, Hardware Ids).

16. karenzajade

karenzajade Private E-2

Ok, boyfriend took to outside help today, sorry I didn't reply earlier...so the drivers I installed were correct, but apparently this laptop, don't know if others are the same way?, needed a second set of drivers for internet connection.

But all his friend did was get it so I could connect to the web....so you might see me pop up again, lol:)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds