Accidentally let MalwareBytes delete ExplorerFrame.dll

Discussion in 'Software' started by goliano, Apr 20, 2015.

1. goliano

goliano Corporal

This happened while fixing another issue in the Malware Removal Forum.

Thanks.

2. AtlBo

AtlBo Major Geek Extraordinaire

goliano...

I had this brought to my attention recently. It's a thread about deleted driver files. The original poster was attempting to stop some services from self-starting and deleted some files. He ended up with a black screen. Here is the thread:

https://forum.raymond.cc/threads/ma...oftware-drivers-could-use-advice.40772/page-3

I think this might help, because the deleted files were driver related files in the system32 folder, and the OP did exactly as you and replaced the files with the black screens persisting. Some work in the registry apparently fixed the problem.

Hope this helps...

3. goliano

goliano Corporal

Thanks, AtlBo. I'll check it out and get back to you.

4. AtlBo

goliano...

No problem. If you have any questions I will try to help decipher the suggestions of the helper in the thread. I had a PM discussion with the OP about the issue, which was resolved ultimately, and I might be able to get his input on this if you get stuck...

5. goliano

goliano Corporal

AtlBo,

I'm just now getting around to performing the tasks on the link you provided. I see a lot of things there, so could you point out the exact tasks I need to do?

Thanks.

6. AtlBo

goliano...

The OP in the thread was using a boot disk to access the contents of the disk, and there are some tools on that disk. I couldn't say to use this particular boot disk, because it's got a bad reputation here at MGs for using software without approval of developers. However, it's up to you about using the disk.

The program used is called Registry Editor PE. I took a look around, and I believe it's an add-on for Windows PE repair disks like the one mentioned in the thread. I was unable to find another boot repair CD that has the tool, so all I can say is to use that disk or see if you can find something else that will give you the ability to edit the registry of the OS on the disk when it is off-line.

I believe the post you are looking for for instructions would be post 27 by Hal9000.

Wish I could help more, but maybe this will get you started. If you find a way to use the Registry Editor PE program, let me know if you have any questions about what to do with it. To try this fix, you will need access to the registry on the black screening drive for sure....

7. goliano

goliano Corporal

The PC in question is a NetBook that doesn't have a cd/dvd drive. The largest zip drive I have is 2 gigs, so will the program fit on there?

8. AtlBo

goliano...

If you can boot from the zip drive, that should work fine. The .iso is about 650 MB...

9. goliano

goliano Corporal

Okay I've got Registry Editor PE running, now what do I do? My problem is a missing ExplorerFrame.dll that I replaced, that doesn't seem to be the issue in post #27 on that page.

10. goliano

goliano Corporal

Never mind. I finally got it back. Thanks.

11. AtlBo

goliano...

Sorry I missed your previous post. Glad you got everything back in order. Please post back if anything else comes up.

Just for the record, did the instructions for using Registry Editor PE work, or was it something else that did the trick? First time I have seen this file missing, and maybe someone else would benefit from knowing how you got everything back to normal...

12. goliano

goliano Corporal

Using a Win 7 Repair USB, I ran "SFC /SCANNOW /OFFBOOTDIR=D:\ /OFFWINDIR=D:\Windows\", "Restore to an earlier date", and then started from "Last Known Good Configuration", which didn't work previously. I was all over the place before that with Hirens, and never made any manual changes to the Registry, so I really don't know what did the trick.

13. AtlBo

goliano...

Thanks for replying. Glad you got it fixed. Probably the sfc /scannow that did the trick I am guessing...:)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds