Accidentally picked unsupported resolution, now "video mode not supported"

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rogvalcox, May 7, 2006.

1. rogvalcox

rogvalcox MajorGeek

As the title says...I accidentally clicked on an unsupported resolution in the display properties, and the screen went black and says Video mode not supported.

So I went into safe mode to change the resolution and the only options were 800x600 and 600x400. So I went in and uninstalled the graphics card and then restarted the system to boot into normal mode. Everything starts up normally, and it ofcourse finds new hardware and automatically installs the video card, and then tells me to restart so the settings will take effect. When it restarts...it is apparently automatically restarting in the resolution that is not supported...even though it was uninstalled and reinstalled!! So then I'm back to square one with Video mode not supported!!!!

By the way...I am running Win 2000 pro, and an ATI Radeon 9250 w/64mb ddr and AGP 2x/4x/8x compatibility.

Am I missing something here, or am I just loosing my mind!?!?

Roger

2. Novice

Novice MajorGeek

While searching I found three possible fixes, but doubt the first one. Try holding the ctrl key down while booting, boot to Safe Mode and select last known good configuration, and reload your video card drivers while in Safe Mode. Hope this helps.:)

3. rogvalcox

rogvalcox MajorGeek

Let me make sure I am understanding you correctly.....

Hold the control key down, while hitting F8 to boot to safe mode....

or is the ctrl thing, an option all of it's own??

I have done the last known good coniguration and, I have uninstalled the drivers in safe mode, but it won't let me install anything in safe mode...so I have to restart in regular mode and then as usual, it automatically installs the video card as the desktop is loading, and then tells me to restart, and like I said before...I'm then right back to square one with the blank/ black screen that says video mode not supported

So to make a long story short...I've already tried what you have suggested!!

I appreciate the help though...if you have any more suggestions...I'm all ears!!

Roger

4. neilshep

neilshep Private E-2

If you have another monitor that does support that resolution, use that to boot up normally, then reset your resolution to whatever, then swap back to your preferred monitor!

5. rogvalcox

rogvalcox MajorGeek

unfortunately, I don't have another monitor. I have even installed a different video card...everything worked fine, and so I uninstalled the ATI drivers for the card that is causing the trouble...then shut down and went through the process of re-installing the card that was originally giving me the trouble...and guess what...it is still doing the same thing, even after all that with a different video card.

For some reason...when I accidentally selected that unsupported resolution, I'm thinking it locked something in on the video card itself, so everytime it reinstalls itself, it is for some reason reinstalling a default resolution that isn't supported, and no matter what you do with uninstalling and reinstalling etc., it won't fix anything until you can access the card itself to change the resolution again!?!? I don't know...but I have never seen a video adapter do this!! Ususally when you uninstall something and reinstall it, it takes everything back to default, which is usually 800x600.

But anyway...if anybody has any more suggestions, I'm all ears!!

Roger

6. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

Maybe try Flashing Video card BIOS

7. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

Use ATI's catalyst remover or driver cleaner pro,this should remove all traces of video profiles,if not remove anything ati in the registry of course create a backup first or restore point,cant you restore back to before the problem :confused:

Theres no way anything could have been saved actually on the card the only rom on there is the bios and theres nothing that can be saved in there like a card preference so it must be something software :confused:

8. rogvalcox

rogvalcox MajorGeek

Can it be done from safe mode?? Or is it done from a bootable floppy?? I have flashed the "BIOS" many times...but never a piece of hardwares onboard bios!! So I guess what I'm try to say...can you give me some pointers here, and if it is possible...where do I get the file?? I've spent quite a bit of time at ATI website and have seen nothing about firmware updates or flashing updates!!

So can you elaborate a little more??

Roger

9. rogvalcox

rogvalcox MajorGeek

That is kind of what I was thinking, but it still has me bumfuzzled!!!! Safe mode is the only way I can do anything, but it won't uninstall the catalyst driver in safe mode, and I tried burning the uninstaller tool that I downloaded from the ATI website, to a cd...but once again...it won't let me use it in safe mode!! Something about not being able access the installer service because it is in safe mode!!:rolleyes:

hought about the registry stuff, but was hoping I might find a less reskier solution by now!!!!

Roger

10. Rikky

11. rogvalcox

rogvalcox MajorGeek

Well...I took the dive and did the registry thing!!:eek:

I went into regedit in safe mode and I found an ATI folder and sub keys under HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG/System/Video and deleted the whole thing and then made sure all the ATI stuff was uninstalled in the hardware profile, then rebooted and it was fine, so I then proceeded to install the latest driver I downloaded from the ATI website...and as of right now, everything appears to be just peachy!!!!

Thanks for the help!!!!

Roger

12. Doomster

Doomster Private E-2

You are very lucky...screwing with the REGISTRY is very risky but I'm glad it worked out for you...and thanks for telling us how you fixed it...

13. rogvalcox

rogvalcox MajorGeek

LOL...Believe me...I know that, but it was to the point that it was becoming the only option!! Besides that...It wasn't a critical machine, so if I would have ended having to reinstall the os...Oh well, no big deal!! This system was used for nothing but internet, e-mail, and an occasional book report for the nephew.

But like I said...It worked so I'm not going to worry about what COULD have happened!!!!

Roger

14. Rikky

Not if you take precautions like setting a restore point making a registry backup even then if you cannot get into windows the the recovery console can be used and your up and running again after 10mins

It isnt screwing with the registry that can screw up your comp its screwing with the wrong thing like system components,I'm constantly in the registry removing traces of programs and things I dont want there :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds