Accidentally removed program from start menu

Discussion in 'Software' started by a_hansen, Mar 16, 2013.

1. a_hansen

a_hansen Private E-2

Hi,
    I dragged the Windows Media Player entry in the "All programs" section of the start menu to the desktop, thinking this would just place a shortcut on the desktop. Well, it did, but it also removed Windows Media Player from "All programs". Now I need some help to make it appear in the "All programs" list again. Windows 7, I don't use System Restore.

2. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

For the 64 bit version navigate to C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player, right click wmplayer.exe and click Pin to Start Menu. For the 32 bit version it's Program Files (x86). You may need to untick the option to hide extensions for known file types in order to see the full filename in Windows Explorer.

3. a_hansen

a_hansen Private E-2

Thanks for replying. I am aware it is possible to pin it to the top section of the start menu. That's not what I want to do. I want it to appear in the "All programs" section again. I find it kind of strange that it is possible to remove a program from "All programs" by dragging in the first place. After all it is still installed and should therefore always be listed here, right?

4. _nullptr

_nullptr Major Geeky Geek Geek

If you've still got the shortcut on the desktop, then just copy and paste it to the following directory:
    Code:
    C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

5. a_hansen

a_hansen Private E-2

That did it. I assumed there had to be a pretty straight forward solution to this, involving the actual folder location for the start menu. Thanks for helping me out!

6. Earthling

After pinning it to the Start menu you could have just dragged it and dropped it into the Programs section. You didn't initially say that was what you wanted.

7. a_hansen

a_hansen Private E-2

Don't get me wrong, I really appreciate your effort to help. I guess I could have been even more precise initially, though my post did say "Now I need some help to make it appear in the "All programs" list again". Never mind. Just out of curiosity, I tried your solution after once again dragging wmp from the programs list and then pinning it to the top section of the start menu. It seems dragging and dropping from the pinned location to "Programs" is not allowed.

8. Earthling

You do need while dragging to just hold over All Programs until the Programs menu appears, and then drag it upward. Here's me dragging the Snipping Tool from Pinned to the Programs list in Win 7 Pro x64 ;)

Attached Files:

9. a_hansen

a_hansen Private E-2

You are so right! Oh, the things one second of patience can bring. Thanks once again.

10. Earthling

Thank you! I too had no idea you could do that until you asked the question so thought I'd try it ;)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds