accidently did a complete system recovery

Discussion in 'Software' started by fadeaway1978, Mar 15, 2009.

1. fadeaway1978

fadeaway1978 Private E-2

I accidently did a complete systen recovery and lost everything back to the installed computer. I have a compaq presario with windows XP Service Pack 1, version 5.1. I'm trying to get everything back, but I am not computer literate, and I'm dirt poor. Most of my programs I had won't work with my factory installed operating system. Can anyone help me, give me step by step instructions on how to get my computer back up and running effectively? Thanks!

2. sikvik

sikvik Corporal Karma

What programs won't work on the factory install?

Do you have an Anti Virus as of now? If yes update, as factory installs usually have a trial AV. If there is no AV, let us know.

Then update your drivers etc from the Compac site. Do a windows update.

But once again what programs are your talking about?

3. sikvik

sikvik Corporal Karma

Just to add if the programs were installed *after market* You will need to reinstall. Also all data, photos, music etc has now been wiped - if you've restored to factory.
    Sorry, bud I feel for you. If you've got broad band, you should be set up and good to go pretty quick. Cheers..

Last edited: Mar 15, 2009
  4. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

If you only have SP1, you have many hours of Windows Update time ahead of you to bring the OS up to date. That includes Microsoft NetFramework, DirectX, and getting Flashplayer from Adobe for starters. How quickly this goes will depend on your connection speed, processor, and installed memory. I recommend running Windows update first, and obtaining all service packs first. If you don't have the loot, go to cnet.com, and in the downloads section go to security software. There you will find AVG free edition for virus protection, and Spybot search and destroy for Spyware protection. AVG updates automatically, and you need to update Spybot manually at least weekly.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds