acer 5100 problems.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tentoholics, Aug 3, 2009.

1. tentoholics

tentoholics Private E-2

Hi all. i have an acer aspire 5100. it powers up to the point where the lights come on and the fan powers up. but thats it. i have no display, just a black screen. the dvd rom wont open, and the keyboard seems not to be working. meaning if i press the caps lock the lights dont come on to say that it is on caps lock. i have tried an eternal screen but with out sucsess. i dont know weather this is a graphics fault or not.
    steve

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

May very well be a shot power supply. Can you replace it?

3. tentoholics

tentoholics Private E-2

sorry for my ignorance. what do you mean by a short power supply?
    steve

4. NightFirer

NightFirer Private First Class

I think he means the power supply is shot. or going out, kaput, finished...

5. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

He is telling you that your power supply is marginal; it can't provide enough power to allow the components (video, keyboard) to work. Replace it.

6. tentoholics

tentoholics Private E-2

I have now tested the output from the cgarger. its 18.96v so thats ok. i have stripped the laptop down to look for obvious signs. Cant find any. i did notice that on the motherboard, ther is a little plug in curcit board that is held by 2 screws. this little board comes fron the main power input and then plugs into the board. could this be the culprit?
    kind regards
    steve

7. NightFirer

NightFirer Private First Class

Could U get a pic of it? might help see the pic, but possible?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds