Acer 5532 frozen keyboard/mouse beeping bios?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by 1computerditz, Jun 27, 2011.

1. 1computerditz

1computerditz Private E-2

My son has an Acer 5532, windows 7 home premium laptop. He was using it last week and as he typed on the laptop keyboard it started to type jjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjj, and he was able to back space only to have it happen again. Shortly thereafter, he lost the ability to use the track pad or the keyboard on the laptop. I had him restart the computer and it was stuck on the boot drive and the a long shrill beep, I then closed the laptop and restart only to have same thing happen. After going online I tried every combination I read about and miraculously was able to get the laptop running, the keyboard and trackpad still do not work, I got around this by using the usb port to use wireless keyboard/mouse combination.

Please remember before you post, I am not super savy on the computer, you maybe have to ask me info, but I might need step by step info to provide it.
    Thanks for your help!

2. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

At first glance I would suspect a failing keyboard,a jammed key or multiple jammed keys,many PC's including desktops make a beeping sound if keys are held depressed while booting and halt the boot process.

Have you disabled your keyboard and mouse in bios somehow or disabled the halt on keyboard and mouse? We really need to know the steps you've performed to get it working,it will offer valuable clues as to the problem. Also neither will work again until they have been re-enabled.

There are a couple of things I would try out of the box,download and burn Linux mint to a disk,load it up and check the functionality of the mouse and keyboard,you will have to re-enable them in bios,leave halt on keyboard disabled for this test so the computer will load.

http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php

This will rule out any software or driver problems.

If your computer won't load at all with the mouse/keyboard enabled you will have to physically disconnect the keyboard from inside the laptop,download your service manual from ACER and follow the disassembly instructions. Removing keyboard is pretty straight forward usually,just a few screws,usually a couple of hidden tabs near the control keys and then un plug it.

Anyway I'm getting a little ahead of myself.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2011
  3. Rikky

4. 1computerditz

Hi Rikky Thanks for replying. I need a step by step on how to do the things you ask. I also could video record with my phone and post what it is doing on here, this way you could hear the beeping and see what is coming up on the screen, would that be helpful at all?

Thanks

5. Rikky

Well first step you need to post the steps you've already to taken to get the computer working,you mentioned 'combinations'?

Have you entered the bios by tapping F2 or del while the computer is booting and altered anything in there,if so what?

You say you've managed to get the computer working with an external keyboard and mouse,does it boot into windows?If not how far does it get? What happens if you remove the external keyboard and mouse does it no longer boot into windows?

No you don't need to post a video:)

6. 1computerditz

I gave up and returned it to Best Buy, I looked at my receipt and forget I had purchased the Black Tie Plan so they will either fix it with no cost to me. or replace it with brand new laptop with simular specs. The geek squad guy said it will probably be replaced. Thank Rikky for trying to help me.

7. Rikky

Good:) Returning things in warranty is always the best option,once you begin disassembling them you void your warranty.

OH well,all is well that ends well.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds