Acer 5536 notebook laptop with ALPs/Synaptics touchpad

Discussion in 'Software' started by kmanpilkers, Oct 2, 2010.

1. kmanpilkers

kmanpilkers Private E-2

Hi all, got an Acer 5536 Notebook here - it has Alps drivers installed as these seem to be the only drivers Windows 7 deems compatible. I have the same notebook computer myself and the Synaptics drivers work perfectly in mine, and in my friend's 5536. The problem is the Alps drivers seem pretty terrible.. despite any settings changes the pad is often over-responsive (mouse jumps) or under-responsive (taps don't register). I have the same laptop myself and am very used to the pad so I know it's not just user error! It's quite likely to be these terrible drivers I think. :)

Many thanks in advance. :)

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Seems the 5536 can come with either ALPS or Synaptics touchpads as Acer list both as drivers for Win7.

You could try something in uninstalling the ALPS drivers then installing the Synaptics and see if they work ok, ACER Support drivers for that Model HERE

if they dont work then re-install the ALPS driver.

3. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

I often remove any touchpad related startups, the drivers remain installed and allows the normal mouse Control Panel applet to control the touchpad. You lose some of the tweaks (taps, etc.) allowed by the software but you gain in stability and consistency.

4. kmanpilkers

kmanpilkers Private E-2

Halo - thanks, sorry I forgot to mention I'd already tried this and the Synaptics drivers wouldn't work, worth a go though. :)

Satrow - great suggestion. I've now tried this and at first it seemed OK but the old problem seems to have returned I've been told. Must just be a rubbish touchpad.

The laptop is still within warranty but the problem is hard to demonstrate because it is intermittent. Do you think it is worth bothering to send it off - I can imagine a battle where they won't admit anything is wrong with it. :confused

5. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

If it's still messing around, it's probably a poor connection or there's an overheating problem along the route. Contact Acer and while you're waiting for a reply, check their forum for similar issues.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds