Acer Aspire 4720z 4GB Max RAM Upgrade

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by djburke66, Feb 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. djburke66

djburke66 Private E-2

To whom ever has an interest, or ability to engage in helping solve a head banging PC TECH problem. I have an Acer Aspire 4720z (Z01) Laptop (2.4GHz, 500GB @ 5400 RPM, & 2.5GB RAM) that I've partially upgraded according to the limits of the Acer Manual. I have toiled for some time, on (mostly) and off for weeks to MAX the memory according to the Acer Manual, which is suppose to handle 4GB DDR2 667MHz. I've updated the BIOS to 3810 and 2.5GB is the most RAM that I have been able to achieve, thus far. The Motherboard is an Intel based 965PM (MB.AKD06.003) chipset that originally came with an Intel Core 2 Duo mobile processor T5250 (2MB L2 cache, 1.5GHz, 667 MHz FSB), which embraces the maximum allowed T7700 (4MB L2 cache, 2.4 GHz, 800MHz FSB), and this CPU is working GREAT. The FINAL objective is to get this Laptop (Mainboard MB.AKD06.003) to accept the manually alleged maximum 4GB of memory. I am respectfully requesting HELP (ANY ENLIGHTENMENT) to achieve a 4GB RAM capacity.

Regards, djburke66

2. ChristineBCW

ChristineBCW Corporal

(I would have tacked on your Amended "I use Win7 Ultimate x64" here as a REPLY instead of a second thread...)

So, you've got two sticks of RAM in the Acer, yes? Is one a 2Gb stick and one is 1Gb stick? Or have you got two sticks of 2Gb RAM in the unit, and it's only showing 2.5Gb RAM as accessible? Notebooks will typically take RAM and use some of it for video processing, thus subtracting from Available RAM for all other OS processes.

But you don't tell us the capacity of the RAM sticks you've inserted. Are these two perfectly identical sticks of RAM - same model, etc?

3. djburke66

djburke66 Private E-2

ChristineBCW, thank you for your interest. Presently, there is 1x2Gb DIMM and 1x512 DIMM (the PC is displaying All of it, & I am aware of the occasional graphics deficiency), but originally I attempted to install 2x2GB identical Hynix DDR2 667MHz, and 2x2GB identical Transcend Memory (also, tested @ module by inserting them individually) each pair induced a Blue Screen Hardware Shutdown. To address the "second thread amendment." I have to confess that I am a "Majorgeeks" NEWBIE (my 1st Post), and when I went back to add the forgotten OS information, I received something like a "Timed Out" message that refused to allow me to make the correction.

Thanks

4. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds