Acer Aspire 5050 keyboard won't work properly

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by TierOneTech, Nov 22, 2009.

1. TierOneTech

TierOneTech Private E-2

I am working on an Acer Aspire 5050. When I first saw it, you had to strike the keyboard keys with force and repeatedly to get it to type a letter. On average, for every 10 strikes, it would type 4 strokes. I have researched this and have found no answers, just a lot of speculation and "try a restore or reformat", which is not an option for this owner. I tried disabling the Launch Manager, which controls the keyboard, but it made no difference after it reinstalled. I did see a post about the ACPI possibly being an issue. Since I could not find a way to disable it, and I did not want to risk having no battery management and who knows what other side effects, I decided to try the unit without the battery installed. I shut down the computer, removed the battery and rebooted the computer. Guess what - no more keyboard issue!! However, as soon as I put the battery back in, the keyboard stopped working properly again! The battery still seems to hold a good charge, lasting 1.5 hours according to the owner.
    Does anyone have any thoughts?
    Thanks!

2. ~Q~

~Q~ Command Sergeant Major

I had a similar issue recently, the mousepad and/or USB mouse stopped working properly when the battery was in.....
    >> Got new battery >> no more problems.

Not sure why though, anyone more enlightened than me to enlighten us?

Q

3. jlphlp

jlphlp Master Sergeant

Hi,

Sounds like the keyboard connector has a problem. May be a ribbon cable that is not connected properly, may have broken leads etc. Other connectors are used and may have similar problems. Inserting battery probably disturbs the lead and causes it to make better contact. Maybe?

Good Luck, Jim

4. TierOneTech

TierOneTech Private E-2

I had the customer buy a new battery. When that was put in, the problem went away! There must be something about the voltage and how Acer's power management tool functions!
    Does anyone else have an idea?

5. cubesteak

cubesteak Private E-2

I had same problem, no keyboard or mouse on acer 5050. removed bat, all fixed.

6. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

You are replying to a old thread. It's doubtful that the OP is still on the site. :major

Plus you did not explain what you removed. "Removed bat" ..... what bat? Do you mean battery?

7. cubesteak

cubesteak Private E-2

bat or "battery". I realize it's an old post but it may help others as it helped me when I found this thread.

8. TierOneTech

TierOneTech Private E-2

I have experienced this issue with several other models of Acer laptops and with a Gateway. My guess is that it is also possible with an E-Machines laptop, since all are Acer products. I believe that this is related to a failure of just one cell in the battery pack, maybe shorted??? I have a customer with an Acer 5050 that has a battery that will not last longer than 15 minutes but he has no keyboard issues! It has to be related to the voltage somehow!
    I hope that this helps others a bit more!!!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds