Acer Aspire 5100-3583 Sound Problem

Discussion in 'Software' started by kmssd, May 5, 2009.

1. kmssd

kmssd Private E-2

I have another problem with no sound at all on my Acer Aspire 5100-3583, I'm starting another thread so no one gets confused (and I'll have my own set of instructions). Any help greatly appreciated.

2. xp_master_of_system

xp_master_of_system Private E-2

Ok Can u go to the control Panel an on to the "Sounds And Audio Devices" an see if it has muted or not displayed.... I hope this helps m8 message me back if it does not work ok i am here to help ok .!!!!

3. kmssd

kmssd Private E-2

Red font, hope your not mad at me, anyway, under Sounds and Audio Devices mute is (and was) unchecked.
    Also, neither the build-in speakers or build-in headphone jack work, so I don't know if that means it's a physical speaker/motherboard or software/driver problem.

4. kmssd

kmssd Private E-2

Just tried to unplug the speakers to test if the headphone jack alone worked without them, but still no sound, don't know if that will help problem solving or not.

5. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

HI

What Windows version is this PC using and its service pack level?

Have you just re-installed Windows?

Have you just had a malware infection?

What did you install or remove hardware or software wise before this happened or did it just happen?

Are there any yellow ! marks in Device Manager, if so what are they next too?

Check in Services (Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services) that the Windows Audio Service is Started and its Startup Type is set to Automatic.

Could also re-install the Chipset Driver then reboot and then install the Audio driver again from here http://support.acer-euro.com/drivers/notebook/as_5100.html

6. kmssd

kmssd Private E-2

@Halo, I have Windows Xp (32 bit) Media Center Edition with Service Pack 3.

Never reinstalled Windows.

No malware, I keep anti-virus/spyware/malware up to date w/ weekly scans.

Viewpoint Media Player and 7-Zip (http://www.7-zip.org/), but I don't know if they did it, I had both before (Viewpoint came with a new version Aol Instant Messenger I installed).

Windows Audio Service was started with Startup Type as Automatic.

Testing last suggestion, will post results later.

7. kmssd

kmssd Private E-2

Chipset driver then Audio driver didn't work...

8. DavidGP

Hi

I would uninstall Viewpoint media player and its toolbar if installed, 7-Zip will be ok, I would think as its not going to change media functions whereas Viewpoint is media based, some techs also advise not to install this and remove always.

Any Yellow ! marks in Device Manager?

Try the following http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307918

9. kmssd

kmssd Private E-2

I did uninstall Viewpoint, it came with Aol Instant Messenger (bundled with it, incase AIM uses a certain plugin), so I didn't directly install it.

No yellow exclamation marks, even with hidden devices shown.

10. kmssd

kmssd Private E-2

What should be included in the report, cause the whole report is huge as a text file, but searching through that big report I found this.
    " [ On-Board Devices / ATI RS485M ]

On-Board Device Properties:
    Description ATI RS485M
    Type Video
    Status Disabled

[ On-Board Devices / HD-Audio ]

On-Board Device Properties:
    Description HD-Audio
    Type Sound
    Status Disabled"
    That was under Computer\DMI\On-Board Devices

11. DavidGP

Sadly Everst log will not show anything as we already know your motherboard and its hardware specs, they dont change from supplied spec at ACER

Do you have an Audio driver already installed and listed in Device Manager? if so right click and uninstall it then reboot and try re-installing the above listed chipset and Audio drivers from ACER.

Did you follow all the steps in the Microsoft KB article to resolve this?

12. kmssd

kmssd Private E-2

I was asking about the Everest log because someone posted in between my two asking about it, but his post must have been deleted.
    I have already tried to uninstall/resinstall the audio and chipset driver from a previous post, and it did not work, also the Microsoft KB did not work either.

Ok, as a side question, if the speakers were pshyically broke (like a wire was cut or the speaker was poked out [just examples]) would the headphone jack still work?

13. DavidGP

Hi

Yes it should on headphone jack as should be seperate circuit, does it work? Check the Audio properties in Control Panel to set the default output device, so will be Control Panel > Sounds and Audio Devices > then the Audio tab and in the playback dropdown try a few of the options listed.

14. kmssd

kmssd Private E-2

In the Sounds and Audio Devices, Realtek HD Audio output is the only choice and with that still no sound from either, but when I first plug in the headphones I hear a crackle, which I suspect is the headphones getting power.

15. kmssd

kmssd Private E-2

Why is there no edit post button when I want to use it, I only see it when I don't need it.
    Back to the problem, I have a built-in program with my computer that restores the computer to its factory condition, so I did that over the weekend, and still no sound. The only type of sound I hear is when I plug in headphones (like they are powering up) but they still don't have sounds from the computer. So to me it seems somehow my internel soundcard got fried and I'm gonna have to get an external or usb one.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds