1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Acer Aspire 5738Z WLAN failure

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by joec., Feb 14, 2012.

1. joec.

joec. Private E-2

I have an Aspire 5738Z (Windows 7 64 bit) with a Atheros AR5B93 Wireless Network Adapter. I had a rootkit which completely messed up my TCP/IP stack and WinSock. However, I have resolved those issues, but now, I cannot connect to any network over WiFi. Ethernet is fine.

The drivers are installed, and I have tried to remove and re-add the device several times, uninstall and roll-back the drivers, all to no avail. The Acer Updater program says nothing needs updating.

There is a button above the keyboard to enable the WiFi, and this is intermittently flashing orange. The WiFi symbol in the System Tray has a red X and says "no connections are available".

Is there a way to get Windows to recognise my adapter?

2. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

Possibly an issue with the Motherboard driver. Have you tried SlimDrivers to see if it can find any newer drivers? Another guess following damage froma n infection would be to try Windows Repair to restore any settings that were not corrected. Actually, I would try that first:

3. joec.

joec. Private E-2

Thank you you are a life saver. I never knew Slim Drivers existed... It downloaded an update for the Atheros card which restored the link between the keyboard button, and card. Joe
  4. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

Life is good!