Acer aspire desktop running oddly

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by liz_alice, Jul 24, 2013.

1. liz_alice

liz_alice Private E-2

Hi!

My son (who is currently in the navy) has an Acer desktop (AM1641, windows vista) that he left here at home. When he left we cleaned it out well (it was quite dusty) and I ran some anti-virus scans on it and did updates before we put it away.We ran it off and on for a few days after we did these things and it seemed fine.

I needed to hook it back up so I could grab some files for him, and it is now behaving strangely, when certain programs such as control panel, internet browsers and even malwarebytes and S&D are started they flicker and the screen changes resolution. Once these are turned off the computer returns to 'normal'. Media programs such as Media player classic look and play just fine.

Any thoughts? He has a laptop with him where he's at, but I'd hate for him to have this computer stop working as it has a lot of his files on it.

I can't go back to a restore point on windows as apparently he'd never set one up (my bad, I expected him to do more of that for himself).

Thanks in advance for your thoughts, Liz

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi Liz, welcome to the forum

My first thought is, if this PC has been as you mentioned "we put it away" then do check any cables connecting the monitor to the PC for being loose.

Just need to double check by what you mean when you say "Once these are turned off the computer returns to normal" --- is this when these applications are closed then the screen is ok, so for instance if you open Control Panel the screen flickers and changes resolution?

When you boot into safe mode (F8 key at boot and choose Safe Mode with Networking) does the PC behave the same with flickering screen when the mentioned software is running?

I do think it maybe a loose cable, so do unplug and re-plug in firmly the monitor cable from the graphic card to monitor again, even unplug from both ends and re-plugin.

3. liz_alice

liz_alice Private E-2

Thank you for your response.

It is just flickering when programs are open.As soon as they close, the screen looks fine.

I will check the cables to the monitor again. The monitor is also several years older than the computer, so if that doesn't help I might even plug in another to see if that has something to do with it.

Also thanks for suggesting safe mode, I didn't think to try it last nite.

4. liz_alice

liz_alice Private E-2

Thank you for the suggestion to check the monitor wires. Turned out to be the wire on the monitor end that was loose, which I wouldn't have thought of right away. It's working great now!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds