Acer Aspire Hard disk upgrade

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by perfectpizza, Oct 17, 2009.

1. perfectpizza

perfectpizza Private E-2

I have replaced the original 40Gb disk on an Acer Aspire 3003LC with a WD 320GB. Win XP Home SP3 from an OEM disk is the OS. Problem is I can only see 127GB of the 320. I have seen some references to needing at least SP2 to be able to access above 132GB, but as I have SP3 this would not seem to be the issue. Would appreciate some help. thanks

2. pclover

pclover MajorGeek

That is caused by your drive being in FAT32. You need to change your hard drive to NTFS file system to use all 320gb of your hard drive.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307881

You may have to reparation/reformat your hard drive if that doesn't' work.

3. perfectpizza

perfectpizza Private E-2

My apologies I didn't mention that the drive is freshly formatted as an NTFS volume, so the issue would seem to be elsewhere..? thx

4. pclover

pclover MajorGeek

Hum when installing windows did you use the entire drive?

5. perfectpizza

perfectpizza Private E-2

Yes I did, but the 130-odd Gb was all that the install program offered. Is this possibly BIOS related?

6. pclover

pclover MajorGeek

I doubt it's bio related. Just to check is the HD 320gb on it. Does it say 320 GB on the drive?

If on windows xp install all it said was 130gb then there could be an issue with the drive.

7. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

I suspect it is indeed the BIOS, specifically a lack of 48 bit LBA support, especially if you have access to only 137GB of drive space.
    Acer Australia service and support

8. perfectpizza

perfectpizza Private E-2

The drive is a WD3200BEVE and is marked as 320GB. Bought from a reputable outfit recently so don't yet have a reason to disbelieve what is says on the label. No indications of any errors from the disk which might point to a hardware problem with it..

9. perfectpizza

perfectpizza Private E-2

In response to Just Playin's comment I guess I will try local Acer on Monday and see if there is a BIOS update that might address the problem. Might be wishful thinking, but worth a crack.

10. perfectpizza

perfectpizza Private E-2

yup turns out that the Aspire 3000 series can't do 48bit LBA due to motherbd/chipset restrictions. Oh well, live and learn. thanks for your help.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds