Acer Aspire One D250 w/Windows 7 Starter Wireless Connection Issues

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by thrik, Dec 17, 2009.

1. thrik

thrik Private E-2

My friend bought this netbook on Black Friday, and has problems connecting to certain wireless networks. She can connect to one at work, but cannot connect to one at home.

The thing is, her younger cousin has an older Aspire One, but it has no problems connecting to that same network she can't connect to at home.

What gives? Why can an older system connect to a network while hers cannot? Is this an issue related to the Windows 7 Starter edition?

Are there any diagnostics you would want her to run?

2. djchrist

djchrist Private E-2

Is there security settings on the home wireless router that you are not putting in? Are you using windows or software to manage the wireless? If you are using windows to manage are you putting in a wireless profile through wireless properties and making sure the SSID and all security info is correct? A newer laptop should have an easier time usually.

3. thrik

thrik Private E-2

As I said before,
    There is no security on that network, and the older netbook (which runs XP) connects quite happily... which leads me to believe that it's an issue with the OS her netbooks runs (Windows 7 Starter).

Anyone have any ideas?

4. djchrist

djchrist Private E-2

If you are sure your putting in the proper wireless settings such as SSID, etc check out possibly upgrading the wireless drivers to make sure there isn't an issue with the driver you have. It's not the OS. Windows 7 all versions doesn't have wireless issues that I've seen. Devices and device drivers possibly could though.

5. thrik

thrik Private E-2

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds