Acer Aspire V3-771G - No HDD suddenly..

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ExOxE, Jul 12, 2013.

1. ExOxE

ExOxE Corporal

Hi Everyone,

I am getting very frustrated right now trying to sort out whats wrong with my main machine, Its an Acer Aspire V3-771G and is less than 4 months old, and I have been using it quite a lot since I purchased it without having a single issue, and its been running all the latest games for instance like a charm, Deadpool for instance runs perfectly at the highest settings and in full 1080p glory, even Metro - Last Light runs absolutely gorgousely on this machine!, I bought it as my main machine, as the Acer V3-571G I bought the previous month was not adequate enough to handle what I wanted to use it for.

Anyway, the other day I left it on while I went outside to water the lawn, then I came inside to stream some music using the wifi from my laptop to my 3D Smart TV which is connected to my 2012Watt Full Surround Sound System (7.1), however the laptop was frozen, I could move the mouse, but nothing on the screen would react, so I shut it down, waited 30 seconds, then booted it up again, however, suddenly it would not boot, instead it came back saying their is no bootable device, so I reset it, but this time went into the BIOS, and for some reason it cannot see the hard drive at all.

So I turned it off for the night, and then tried it in the morning, but same issue, its saying their is no hard drive in it!

Does this mean the hard drive in it is cactus, or could it possibly be something else that can be easily fixed?

I will not open the laptop up as that will void my warranty, but surely a new laptop with a brand new 750GB Sata hard drive could not fail in less than 6 months?

Cheers,

David

2. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

Opening it up is not going to void your warranty. Most likely the machine is having motherboard issues. Check with Acer to see if they will cover it for repairs. And yes, a electronic device, or even a motorized vehicle, or appliance can fail in less than six months.

3. abekl

abekl First Sergeant

Brownizs, you're possibly wrong about voiding the warranty if he opens that laptop. It's different than with desktops. Laptops generally aren't considered to be user serviceable - every manufacturer diffres on this.

As for the HDD disappearing, you should try booting from a window dvd or a linux vd or dvd and see if you can see the contents of the HDD. If you can, then it's intact and possibly repairable through windows repair utility. If you can't see the drive's contents, then more than likely the drive is toast and needs to be replaced.

4. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

Againe abeki, you will not void the warrenty, by vracking the case open, to uprade the RAM or change out the hard drive.

What the OP needs to do, is as I stated before, contact ACer to get the info to ship it back to them, to fix it now not later, before the 1 year warrenty, if it has one.

Right now all the have is a door stop.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds