acer aspire video card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by alhan2, Jan 2, 2014.

1. alhan2

alhan2 Private E-2

Hi, is it possible to replace the video card in an acer aspire 7560? or do i have to buy a new laptop?

2. Digerati

Digerati Major Geek Extraordinaire

I cannot find any specifications for that system suggesting you can upgrade the graphics (most notebooks cannot be upgraded). Sorry. However, that does not mean you cannot add a USB graphics adapter.

That said, you did not say why you want to do this. If attempting to increase graphics performance, you may be out of luck because USB2.0 is just not very fast.

If your current graphics is not working, I would connect an external monitor and see if it works.

3. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

Only certain units allow the GPU card to be swapped out (asus, alienware). Otherwise you are stuck with what comes with the unit.

4. Digerati

Right - and even then, upgrade options tend to be VERY limited - and not cheap either.

5. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

Actually the upgrade cards have come down, and are not limited.

6. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

Much depends on exactly which notebook # it is, if you have one with a lower end APU (CPU+GPU), it's possible to upgrade it to one with a better GPU; however, you must get one that's Crossfire -compatible with whichever onboard GPU is fitted to the motherboard.

The Aspire 7560G reviewed here has a AMD Fusion A8-3520M (1.6/2.5GHZ Quad Turbo + HD 6620G), Crossfired with a HD 6650M, built in to the motherboard: http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Acer-Aspire-7560G-Fusion-Notebook.69518.0.html

Unless you have a very low-spec APU with a high-end GPU onboard, upgrading to a better APU is not likely to net you much better gaming graphics. More details needed ;)

7. Digerati

I think we have a disconnect here. By limited, I mean if your notebook graphics card can be upgraded, the number of choices available to you is very limited. This is because there is no ATX Form Factor standard for notebooks. While there may be several cards that will physically fit a slot, proprietary cases limit the space some cards will fit in.

And sorry, but a notebook graphics card is still more expensive than PC graphics cards with a similar GPU and RAM.

I do agree with satrow, but also must point out that many notebooks, especially smaller notebooks and netbooks, come with surface mounted processors - meaning they are soldered to the motherboard and cannot be replaced.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds