Acer eRecovery "please wait a moment"

Discussion in 'Software' started by Clivey, Aug 7, 2010.

1. Clivey

Clivey Private E-2

Greetings everyone,

I am having a problem with the eRecovery software on an Acer TravelMate 6492 notebook running Windows Vista Business (I am from the UK if this information helps).

The system came to me in the following state:

• Upon trying to boot into Windows Vista, the system hangs on the 'Microsoft Corporation' loading screen (see attachment 1 below). It does not go any further, no matter how long it is left like this. This happens no matter which startup mode (e.g. Safe Mode with Networking) is chosen.
    • I have tried the usual 'Startup Repair' etc. using either the 'F8' menu during the boot, this has had no effect.
    • I have recovered documents, pictures, music etc. from the system by removing the hard drive and connecting it via an adapter to a desktop system. Whilst I did this, I noticed that the system was full of malware (65 positives for adware and trojans according to Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware).
    • I have tested the hard drive and RAM using the proper tools and no faults were found.
    • At this point, I have decided that what I need to do is reinstall Windows Vista to solve the problem
    • The system has a licence for Windows Vista Business, but did not come with a reinstallation disk. It does however have a recovery partition on the hard drive, which uses Acer's eRecovery Management software.
    • When trying to boot to the recovery partition, the system hangs either on the same screen mentioned above, or a a screen that has the Acer logo in the top right corner with the words "Please wait a moment...." in the centre (please see attachment 2 below). :banghead

I am now in an unfortunate situation, because it seems that the recovery partition is damaged in some way and will not function correctly. My main question is: "Is there any way to repair it?", as purchasing a new retail copy of Windows Vista Business is not an option that I am prepared to take with this system.

OR is there another method I can use to get this system back "up and running"? :confused

Any help & advice would be greatly apprecitated, thank-you for your time.

Clive

ATTACHMENTS TO FOLLOW

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

My eMachines (which is owned by Acer) has the same sort of recovery management program. But there was also instructions on creating the restore DVD in case the hd crashed and one could not get to the recovery program inside windows nor the recovery partition.
    If you did not make the recovery DVD, then contact Acer and see if you can purchase the recovery DVD for your TravelMate 6492. It will be way cheaper than purchasing Vista plus it has the added benefit of including all the programs (and bloatware that needs removal) that were installed on the computer with the correct drivers.
    Anyone who has to replace a hard drive would need a recovery DVD so if your model is fairly new, Acer probably still sells a DVD.

3. Clivey

Clivey Private E-2

Hi, thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately this is not my system and I am trying to assist someone else that doesn't have much technical knowledge (I would have written the aforementioned recovery disk as soon as I could had it been mine).

Personally I would purchase a disk from Acer if this was my system, however the owner feels that if they have to spend any money on this laptop it's not worth it and they'll just go out and buy new. I am trying to convince them that this is completely unnecessary as the laptop is in 100% working condition.

Is there any way I can restore the operating system without having to purchase anything (I do have access to quite a lot of my own diagnostic and testing equipment)?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds