Acer ET removal?

Discussion in 'Software' started by imgnf, Mar 31, 2009.

1. imgnf

imgnf Private E-2

I purchased an Acer laptop just over a year ago. Recently it has been acting ridiculous, constantly processing and interrupting my work. I have scanned it with every known virus and spyware program and found nothing there. Running Windows Performance Information and tools (advanced tools, event viewer) I found numerous warnings and errors that are associated with the Acer programs, as well as other items. They say that Acer is constantly over processing and getting in the way of other programs. My question, then, is can I safely remove the Acer Empowering Technology crud/program without compromising the rest of the computer. It running Vista 32? Or is the Acer ET integral to the operating system and removing it likely to kill the computer? Or is there something else going on here?

Acer Aspire 5610Z
    Intel CPU T2060 @ 1.60GHz
    Ram - 1.00 GB
    32 bit operating system
    Here are a couple of examples from the Event Viewer:

Background optimizations (prefetching) took longer to complete, resulting in a performance degradation in the system start up process:
    Name : BackgroundPrefetchTime
    Total Time : 71927ms
    Degradation Time : 19627ms
    Incident Time (UTC) : 3/31/2009 4:17:13 AM

The Desktop Window Manager is experiencing heavy resource contention.
    Reason : CPU resources are over-utilized.
    Diagnosis : A sharp degradation in Desktop Window Manager responsiveness was observed.

This process is doing excessive disk activities and is impacting the performance of Windows:
    File Name : \Device\HarddiskVolume2\Acer\Empowering Technology\eSettings\Service\capuserv.exe
    Friendly Name : Service
    Version : 1.0.0.0
    Thread time : 6778ms
    Blocked Time : 379ms
    Incident Time (UTC) : 3/31/2009 3:41:12 AM

This application caused a delay during standby:
    File Name : Acer.Empowering.Framework.Supervisor.exe
    Friendly Name : Acer Empowering Techonology Framework Launcher
    Version : 2.5.3003.0
    Total Time : 2177ms
    Degradation Time : 1593ms
    Incident Time (UTC) : 3/30/2009 6:22:12 AM

There are from 20 to 30 of these a day depending on how long I'm using the computer. Any help would be appreciated. (It took three times as long to write this as it should due to the processing issue.)

2. thesmokingun

thesmokingun MajorGeek

Most of the time, its ok to remove those types of programs, because they are added by Acer, and not a part of windows. As far as I know, it's ok to remove them, just make sure you don't use any of the programs that are included in it. They also call that bloatware.

3. imgnf

imgnf Private E-2

That's what I figured, but didn't want to take a chance just in case. You never know what these programs will come up with to make our lives more confusing than they already are. Thanks again for your help.

4. thesmokingun

thesmokingun MajorGeek

thinking a little more, you might want to make sure that you really dont use those programs. I know alot of bloatware comes with things like a power manager, connection manager, and other utilities. There are equivalents in windows, you just might have to configure them after you remove the acer stuff.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds