Acer laptop drivers or other problem?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Nightgoddess, Feb 22, 2012.

1. Nightgoddess

Nightgoddess Private E-2

I found several problems on my Acer laptop (Extensa 5620Z) after formatting it. Most of the problems I managed to fix. But suddenly I have new problems, increasing.

When I go on device manager - there is an icon "Other devices" and the "Network Controller" that has a yellow exclamation mark next to it.

I have no idea if it is leading to the following problems:

- wireless LAN not working
    - after about 15 minutes or less on the internet, "goolge chrome" has to close***

***I am using AVG (I hate it, but it is free, and my NOD32 expired!) and it also tells me after a few minutes on the internet it has to close down. Apparently I run out of space of some sort ... and suddenly NOW it would not pop up so I can write down the warning message!

Do I need drivers for my laptop? Or is it a different problem? How do I know what exact driver to install?? Is there some sort of free application which can check what drivers I need to install?

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

2. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

If you are missing drivers, due to you did not use the OEM version of their OS, you need to go to acer.com and download them.

3. falconattack

falconattack Command Sergeant Major

Hi my friend , what is your operation system , you have to follow the river

Start - Run type this mmc devmgmt.msc - Ok - right click to yellow device - Properties - Details - scroll down the arrow finding Hardware ids - there is a code in the box , we need it ( select all - copy - paste ) the code here

Neither eset nor avg is useful , you could download this tool

http://eches.net/nod32-removal-tool-remove-completely-nod32-antivirus/

and this

http://www.avg.com/us-en/utilities

uninstall leftover of two antivus programmes , after that this is a good free programme

http://majorgeeks.com/Avira_Free_Antivirus_d955.html

to protect your machine !! :wave

4. Nightgoddess

Nightgoddess Private E-2

Start - Run type this mmc devmgmt.msc - Ok

"This selected file cannot be found" :cry

I have an application that I (for some unknown reason) always keep on my computers - CS Fire Monitor. It only show problems with my bluetooth device.

Thank you for the anti-virus advice. I will try it out.

5. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

This could be indicative of malware in your machine.
    Open Explorer, right-click on your C drive and select Properties, how much free space do you see there?

You probably do need drivers, yes. Try downloading the "Hardware Vendor Detection Utility", installing it and report back with the results (or follow the recommendations, if they're clear enough).

6. Nightgoddess

Nightgoddess Private E-2

It has just been formatted - so no malware, no virus, the whole computer is still free - whole C drive (except for the few programmes and applications which I installed)!

Just most likely drivers. And I am too dumb to know what to download

7. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

Try downloading the >"Hardware Vendor Detection Utility"<, installing it and report back with the results (or follow the recommendations, if they're clear enough).

Go on, give it a try ;)

8. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

Again, if you go to acer.com, and enter the model of the laptop/computer, select the operating system you have, it will tell you what drivers are for that machine.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds