Acer Travelmate 4230. Limited or no connectivity

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by greekgod, Nov 28, 2011.

1. greekgod

greekgod Private E-2

Hello everyone,

I have my freinds Acer trarvelmate 4230 and running XP pro Version 2002, Service pack 3.

He is having problem with connecting to the internet. It always says limited or no connectivity. The modem works as I am using my laptop right now and so are the other 3 housemates.

I have tried various methods

1) tried...winsockfix

2) tried:

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f31/solved-nics-and-xp-sp3-no-connectivity-issues-306036.html

3) Started computer in safe mode and ran Malwarebytes (however the version was 90 days old and I cud not update as there is no internet at all on that laptop not even LAN)

Any help will be appreciated.

2. pip22

pip22 Private E-2

Temporarily disable the WEP or WPA wireless encryption on the router and see if the TravelMate will connect then. If it does, obviously it's the encryption type that's the problem.

If the router was using WPA, try it on WEP instead as some older wireless devices are not WPA compatible. Any changes to a router's wireless settings should be performed with a non-interruptable ethernet connection, not a wireless one (for reasons which should be obvious).

Also look at the wireless signal strength on the TravelMate. If it's weak, try changing the channel number on the router to higher number in the region 9 - 12 (11 is the highest in some countries).

3. greekgod

greekgod Private E-2

Hi pips thanks will try that. So basically what you are saying is to try and connect to a network without a passoword? I am in Sydney Australia thx.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds