Acquiring network address - internet not working

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by belovah, Dec 29, 2007.

1. belovah

belovah Private E-2

Hey guys,

I have some problems with my internet connection on my PC. The thing is that I just reinstalled Windows XP on this machine and all the mother board drivers everything was working fine except the internet. Everything stops at acquiring network address and after some time it says it's connected but with some weird IP's when I run ipconfig there are some IP's like 169... and there's no default gateway :confused .

I have a router but that's not the problem because the internet on the other PC is working and when I connect the UTP cable from the reinstalled computer to my laptop the internet is working instantly with no problem.

Do you guys have any ideas?

lp B

2. dedub

dedub Corporal

First, the 169.254.x.x is called an APIPA (automatic private IP address) that is microsofts way of saying the computer is set to DHCP but I found no DHCP server so here is an IP that Ill give you. With that said, maybe your router is not set to issue IP's? Do an IP config on the laptop and see what the IP is. You could then increase it by one on the new machine statically and try that. Though that would be my second choice. My first would be to get into the router and find out for sure it IS set for DHCP. Look to see if your laptop's IP is set statically also. One other shot in the dark is Windows firewall is set ON by default. You did do a fresh install and I believe the firewall will mess with your network card's IP acquisition until you shut it off on that NIC interface.

3. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

Another left field suggestion -
    Shut down everything and bring it back up in sequence - modem, router, then comps.
    (My left field not yours dedub)

Last edited: Dec 29, 2007
  4. belovah

belovah Private E-2

Tried everything still not working. Is it possible that the network card isn't working...

But then I think it wouldn't even connect or get any IP address, am I right?

5. dedub

dedub Corporal

Does your NIC hav a link light? can you ping 127.0.0.1? Did you check the firewall?

6. cat5e

cat5e MajorGeek

Network settings are check this way, http://www.ezlan.net/debug.html

If every thing looks good check WinXP Firewall, after new installation it is On with default. May be the exception for local connections are not checked, and the Firewall blocks the connection to the Router.

7. belovah

belovah Private E-2

Yeh I checked the firewall, I even checked winsock and TCP/IP stack

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds