Acronis Online Backup

Discussion in 'Software' started by LauraR, May 16, 2012.

1. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

Does anyone use this?

Thoughts?

Opinions?

I just found out that my Windows 7 system restore does not work. :confused:( Apparently, it's a problem that I did not know about. Doing a google search found enormous amounts of people that have issues with win 7 deleting restore points.

Anyway, it brought home to me the fact that I am not very good about backing up my computer. I have Acronis, but haven't really used it.:-o I noticed they have an online service that is appealing. A Cloud type deal where you can also access your information from any internet connected PC.

2. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

<I have a similar problem with W7 and no restore points, not had the free time to investigate it (first time I've even mentioned it) so I have no clue as to how you might tackle that side of it.>

On cloud backups generally: I'd have to say spread your data (replicate it) over several different companies (check privacy policies, etc. too), be careful about what you upload, an innocent, or even medical, photo inside a zip might get your data deleted (thinking back to a comment I saw about Skydrive recently).

3. LauraR

:( I was thinking I could do a complete backup on. It's just for files, etc. I did the free for a month deal. Not sure I'll bother. I have an external harddrive. I'm also going to back up my files on CDs.

Yeah, not sure on the Restore points. Seems like a stupid basic thing for Win 7 to have go wrong for some many. I'm not sure what the fix is. Maybe I'll play later. If anyone knows, let me know.

4. LauraR

5. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

Acronis (2011/2012) is a great product, I'd trust it with my life, but before using the online feature I'd advise getting completely familiar with it simply backing up to an external. It isn't the most intuitive of softwares ;)

6. LauraR

Ha! No it isn't. LOL and you've helped me with it before.:)

Right now I'm doing a Disk backup. I'm not going to worry about the online stuff at the moment.

Can someone look at the link to the MS article above for me? I'm a bit worried about this: "6. Delete 'pagefile.sys' from the root of C: drive. Note: pagefile.sys is a hidden file and is not visible until you set the folder option to view hidden files."

7. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

For just online file backup, i would highly recommend www.carbonite.com, super easy to easy and very non system resource demanding.

8. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

9. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

I think clearing it will only fix 'soft' problems, if there's a 'hard'-er error (bad block?), remove the pagefile, reboot to Safe Mode and reallocate it, reboot normally to populate it as usual.

<not checked the link yet, sorry>

EDIT: Ok, just given Laura's KB link a quick read; from the safety aspect, Windows will always use a pagefile (though not the pagefile.sys), even if you've set it for no paging file on any drive - it's a built-in safety net (not sure how far that goes back over Windows versions, pretty sure it stands as far back as XP, at least).

It's safe to follow those instructions (though I'd still do the delete pagefile.sys/recreate from within Safe mode - old habits dying hard, and all that).

Last edited: May 16, 2012
  10. LauraR

Yeah, the article actually states

...so this is not a permanent delete.

The fact that this is specifically from MS and is their fix for the restore point problem gives me more confidence.

I just did a Acronis system backup, so I have something to fall back on (I suppose).

11. Earthling

You do have providing you have created and tested the Rescue Media (CD). Some partition backups - non-OS partitions - can be restored by booting to the OS and running the program, but the backup of the OS partition itself can only be restored by booting to the Rescue CD.

Apologies if I hammered this home before Laura :-o

12. LauraR

First of all, thanks Earthling.:)

I do have rescue CDs that I created when I first got the computer. How often should those be created?

On a regular basis, what would you recommend backing up?

13. Earthling

These would only be used if you needed/wanted to restore your comp to the state it was in when first bought. They are highly destructive as they wipe everything you have added since then - your software, personal files, everything. They need only be created once, in fact with some marques CAN only be created once. Acronis makes them redundant.

I do a full backup of my system partition at least monthly, usually directly after the updates are installed. Not sure which version you have but with 2011 and 2012 you can set it so that it just keeps the latest 2 or 3 versions and discards the oldest. That works well as old backups aren't a great deal of use generally.

It's a good plan to move all of your own files to a different drive or partition. This keeps backups small but more importantly prevents your own files from being overwritten if you needed to restore your system partition.

I don't use Acronis for anything other than system backups and prefer to use a sync program for all my own stuff.

But whatever method you prefer it's vital to keep backing up and not wait until disaster has struck!

14. LauraR

I have Acronis 2010.

Why can't it be backed up on an external HDD? I was doing that based on stuff I saw online.

So you use CDs? That's got to use a ton. :confused I have them, but don't use them for anything.

My biggest concern that I don't ever want to lose are my pictures. I always back those up.

15. Earthling

Laura, I failed to explain in the previous post that you must run Acronis and from it create its own Rescue Media, as this is what you must have in order to restore a system backup. The rescue CD contains a cut down version of the installed software, sufficient to boot the system, find the backup file, and direct it to whichever drive or partition is to be restored

Re CDs, they are only used for the rescue CD. The image files themselves are best stored on a HDD.

16. pwillener

pwillener MajorGeek

You should create a (bootable) Rescue CD each time you update/upgrade Acronis.

A few years ago when I started to use Acronis, before I installed Windows XP SP3, I tested the backup and restore. What I found then is that I could not use an older Rescue CD with a backup that was created with a slightly newer version of Acronis.

External hard disks are very inexpensive these days, and it is a good idea to backup to such a HD. Backing up to DVD seems risky to me; DVDs are not 100% reliable.

Regarding Acronis Online Backup; I believe you have to pay for that. I much prefer to backup to a local external HD.

17. LauraR

Okay...I'll start over. I think I need to buy a new External HDD anyway...or take the one I bought my husband that he hasn't used... LOL

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds