activate Win 8.1 pro

Discussion in 'Software' started by peterr, Jan 23, 2014.

1. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

I have the Win 8 disc and product key with the Media center and key.
    I got 8.1 Pro through the store.
    I have ben piecing together the steps to get 8.1 pro without a key as I don't have one.
    What am I missing below?

1- down load both 8 and 8.1 from a Windows site(unknown)
    2-start 8 and when at 1% pause and close
    3-start 8.1 and enter the key generic below
    XHQ8N-C3MCJ-RQXB6-WCHYG-C9WKB

Then when 8.1 is running, you change the product key to your 8 Pro key = right click This PC >properties.
    I am confused as to how to activate = ?
    For adding Windows Media Center do you go to the same page and enter this generic key RQXB6-WCHYG-C9WKB then change it to your own Win 8 key or just enter the Win 8 key.
    Finally, which keys are still valid and for which OS?
    Thank you
    Peter

2. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

Is there some reason you can't simply let the 8.1 upgrade do its thing peterr? It is perfectly straightforward, or was when I upgraded. No keys required at all.

3. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

I guess the dvd is for naught.

Download both 8 + 8.1 pro
    When 8 starts, stop it and open 8.1 follow prompts until it is installed.
    Change product key from what it is to Win 8 one.

If so far is correct, how do you activate?

4. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

I really don't follow what you are trying to do. The standard upgrade procedure from a working 8 is to wait for the 8.1 upgrade to appear in the Store. That can take a day or two, but when it does appear just click on it and allow it to complete. That's it.

It sounds to me as if you have been reading threads elsewhere about performing a clean install of 8.1. If so I suggest you forget all about that and just let the upgrade procedure run.

5. oxooxo

oxooxo Private First Class

You must make sure you have installed all 8 updates before 8.1 update will show in the store.

6. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

Yes, I was reading about getting 8.1 without a product key. I will use the store when I need to but was looking into a backup in case it was not there when I needed it.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds