Activation on Windows XP Problems

Discussion in 'Software' started by caper4ever99, Nov 1, 2007.

1. caper4ever99

caper4ever99 Private E-2

Hello Everyone,

I recently purchased a laptop from a friend of a friend 2 months ago and my daughter had recently deleted some important information. I did a system restore but the power went out in the middle of the restore so then I had to do a system repair which it ending up reinstalling all of the windows files etc. I let my hubby finish the repair and he skipped setting up the internet part of the install so now I'm stuck on the activatation code. When I went into safe mode their is no way to configure my internet connections that I know of which isn't saying much because this is all new to me...lol the guy next door was letting me mooch off of his wireless router and when I tried to connect my dsl modem I get nothing. Since I had purchased this laptop secondhand I'm not even sure if its legit but most of the cd's that came with it were still in the packages not even opened so again not sure. Any help would greatly be appreciated!

2. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

So, you're getting reminders about activation, but you can't get online to complete the activation procedure, right?

Are you using the DSL modem for any other computers?

I'm not sure what you mean when you say your husband "skipped setting up the internet part of the install". Installing Windows installs Internet Explorer and you should be able to connect by wire (either cable/DSL or dialup) or, wirelessly, assuming the laptop and router are using the same level of security settings.

Note: you can activate Windows by phone. From http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307890, "If you do not have a modem or an Internet connection, you can activate Windows XP by calling a Microsoft customer service representative. The "Activation Wizard displays the toll free number that you can dial.?

3. caper4ever99

caper4ever99 Private E-2

Yes I am using my dsl modem for my other computer...I can't even get into the laptop computer..I get to the log in screen and the activation message pops up saying I can't log on til I activate windows so I click to connect to the internet to activate and it says it can't determine which way to connect to the internet..connect using a direct connection or dial using my modem ...Its asking my to configure my network settings now and I have no idea what to do..I have automatically detect settings clicked and its says its unable to establish a connection..please check your network settings and confirm your able to connect to the internet...The guy I purchased the laptop from set everything up for me.
    Thanks for replying I appreciate it.

4. ralph3124

ralph3124 Private First Class

Go to START, RUN, type in:
    ipconfig

Then report back here what it shows.
    This will tell us whether you are connecting to your modem/router/cable or not.

5. caper4ever99

caper4ever99 Private E-2

Ok the only way I was able to do that was to go into safe mode and I typed ipconfig in run and a black screen popped up and disappears before I can see what it says..I tried going into safe mode with networking and it won't let me its says again I have to activate windows because activation cannot occur in safe mode!

6. caper4ever99

caper4ever99 Private E-2

Ok I want to thank you guys for trying to help me out on this I finally got my modem to get it connected..something wrong with my wire I was connecting it to..whhheeww what a pain..lol but its up and running now. I appreciate the help.

Have a great day all!

7. ralph3124

ralph3124 Private First Class

Just for future reference:
    START, RUN, type in CMD:
    That should leave the DOS box visible to type ipconfig. If CMD don't work, use COMMAND. One of them should leave the box visible.
    Glad to hear you got it working by yourself.

8. caper4ever99

caper4ever99 Private E-2

Thanks again..I will keep that in mind for future reference.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds