Activation

Discussion in 'Software' started by chritters65, Sep 27, 2006.

1. chritters65

chritters65 Private E-2

Anyone know how many times you can activate Windows XP? I have had to reinstall 4 times in 6 months because of problems and have had to phone in because of installing on newer computer. :)

2. matt.chugg

matt.chugg MajorGeek

If you are using the same computer and same licence without changing your hardware you can backup your Windows Activation state.

Before formatting copy the following files to a safe place that will still be available after wiping your hard drive such as a USB Flash Drive or a Floppy Disk.

Once you have formatted and reinstalled window you will need to reboot into safe mode by restarting your computer and pressing F8 until the boot menu appears and selecting Safe Mode

Once in safe mode rename the exisiting files (if present) to:

Then copy the 2 files from your 'safe place' into the system32 folder.

Now when you reboot into Normal mode your windows will be activated.

3. matt.chugg

matt.chugg MajorGeek

You can also backup Office XP Activation in a similair manner by backing up the folowing files:

and for office 2003

4. chritters65

chritters65 Private E-2

Thanks for the help,matt:)

5. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

To give a more direct answer, you have unlimited activations, on the same machine it was originally activated on.

6. matt.chugg

matt.chugg MajorGeek

Sorry lol, I didn't actually answer the actual question, although it was 'nearly' relevant ;)

7. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

All true, but wait. If your reinstalling this often, here is my suggestion.

Install Windows, all service packs. Get your email setup, favorite small programs, favorite website links, newest drivers, etc, then create a bootable cd to restore with. Restoring will then take only about 20 minutes and your machine will be ready to go.

I do this with Nero Burning ROM because it is also the best CD\DVD writing suite. A typical reinstall will fit on 1 DVD.

If you do not like that, you could use Acronis True Image or another image based backup tool.

http://majorgeeks.com/Nero_Burning_Rom_d633.html

8. chritters65

chritters65 Private E-2

Thank you all for your excellent help.Its appreciated:)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds