Active X/Security Settings issues

Discussion in 'Software' started by rileyb, Oct 11, 2009.

1. rileyb

rileyb Private E-2

Until I was hit with a mysterious glitch a week ago I had no problems with Active X or anything else. After the glitch Active X would not work. I can't download it, in fact I can't download anything. I keep getting a notice that says my security settings will not allow the download.

I have had the comp for over 5 years and no changes to security settings. I have the much hated Vista Basic. How can I solve this problem?

Thank you.

2. Dreamer

Dreamer Corporal

Which version of internet explorer are you using?

3. rileyb

rileyb Private E-2

I have not updated it in a very long time. I think its IE 5. I don't like IE. I have survived without using it for a long time.

4. Dreamer

Dreamer Corporal

IE 5? If you have vista basic you should have at least IE 7, but we'll go general for IE 7 or 8. Go to Tools -> Internet Options. A dialog box should open. There should a tab next the the "General" tab that says "Security". Within the box you should see a button that says "Custom Level" A new dialog box will appear scroll down until you see the settings "Download signed Active X controls" and set that to "prompt." The setting right under that should be "Download unsigned Active X control" set this to "prompt" as well.

Let me know if that works.

5. rileyb

rileyb Private E-2

My apologies apparently I do have IE7. I am going to try your suggestion now. I appreciate the help and will let you know how it goes.

6. rileyb

rileyb Private E-2

Dreamer:

Thank you very much for your help. You steered us in the right direction to solve the problem.

"Download signed Active X controls

That and a couple of other Active X controls in that area needed to be set at prompt or enable. As I scrolled down the list I noticed that the first 2 listings under Downloads were disabled for some reason. I enabled them and that seem to be the final step to solving a vey big headache.

I don't know what caused this mess but I am grateful that your idea was the missing link to solving it.

7. Dreamer

Dreamer Corporal

You're most certainly welcome.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds