ActiveX controls

Discussion in 'Software' started by mcpp66, Apr 3, 2005.

1. mcpp66

mcpp66 Private E-2

How do I review and uninstall ActiveX Controls in Windows XP? Would it be the same as uninstalling programs? Or do I just have to find the control and delete it? If so, where are ActiveX controls typically installed. Thank you in advance.

2. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

Technically, ActiveX Controls aren't programs but a component technology.

It's not the same as uninstalling programs.

They are generally located at C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files

You can right-click and select properties for more information and to update or delete them.

3. TheDoug

TheDoug MajorGeek

The bigger question is why do you think you need to uninstall ActiveX?

4. mcpp66

mcpp66 Private E-2

I don't need to uninstall ActiveX, I just wanted to uninstall an ActiveX control. I know that I don't need it and I'd like to get rid of it if possible.

5. Insomniac

Did you find it in the folder I posted above?

If not, what is it?

6. mcpp66

mcpp66 Private E-2

No, it's not in there. I was online with HP tech support (online chat) and the ActiveX control downloaded for that purpose. Since I don't own an HP computer (was helping a friend), I no longer need it and that's why I want to get it off of my computer. Thanks.

7. Insomniac

Do you have "show hidden files and folders" etc enabled?

8. mcpp66

mcpp66 Private E-2

Yes, I did that when I looked for the ActiveX control.

9. Insomniac

If you have Show Hidden Files and Folders enabled then they should be there.

The only other place to look is Add/Remove for an entry or maybe even the start menu if it is part of a program installation.

Failing that all I can suggest is to do a search on your hard drive using it's name.

In Internet Explorer is it listed in Tools, Manage Add-ons and then in Add-ons currently used and ones that have been loaded?

10. mcpp66

mcpp66 Private E-2

Thanks for your help! It was in Tools, manage add-ons.

11. Insomniac

No problems, you're welcome.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds