Ad-Aware SE and Zone Alarm Pro...

Discussion in 'Software' started by Steeev, Mar 17, 2006.

1. Steeev

Steeev Corporal

Just wondering if anyone else has had trouble with these two programs.
    Updated AdAware last night, and ran it. It told me I had two pieces on malware, one was a Gainbar, risk factor 7, and the other a possible new piece of malware.
    Obviously I just clicked on them to be deleted. Unfortunately it locked up AdAware.
    Ran it again, they were still there. Looked closer at the files, which were in c:/windows/system32 and both were zlparser.dll.
    I'm guessing this was a false positive, as I've had on other scanners before, but now I can't get Zone Alarm to run.
    I'm hoping I can just reinstall/repair it when I get home, but has anyone else experienced this before?

2. hammer1

hammer1 Private E-2

Sound like "nasties" causing the problems:

I'd post in Malware Removal.:confused: :confused:

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

No but I've not updated Ad-Aware to the latest Def files from yesterday yet to try, can when I get home, but as that DLL is a ligitimate ZA file.. I'd go with what you say as this being a "false positive"

Yes a repair or reinstall of ZA should clear that up.

4. Wiseloki

Wiseloki Private E-2

Just to confirm that I have a Dell Laptop with XP Pro SP2, have NAV 2004, ZAP v6.1.737.000 and I regularly run scans with AdAware SE, Spybot S&D, Ewido 3.5 and I've never had any conflict between any of them. Can't help more than this.

5. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

Zone Alarm has had problems with Ad-Aware with Windows ME and we have heard of a few problems with it in other operating systems. Try running Spybot for starters to see if you can complete a scan, from safe mode if possible.

6. Steeev

Steeev Corporal

Weird, I know.
    No troubles with Panda, AVG antivirus or Spybot.
    I've seen other mention on Google.
    Might sift through a hijackthis file, but I don't think I'll worry too much about it.

7. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

This stood out to me as it's the second time today I've seen someone post a ZA version number, just a heads up no more but ZA all versions are now at 6.1.744.000

and available here ( as it seems the in-built updater is not working at least when I tried it earlier on a PC, it said I was upto date when clearly not ) http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?id=34

Steeev, I would definatly do the repair or re-install of ZA and just to double check run the Ad-Aware updater as it did update yesterday ( just incase of False Positive ), I just updated mine did a scan and it never picked that ZA DLL up.

I do have zlparser.dll but was yours in this exact location C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs ?

8. Steeev

Steeev Corporal

@Halo
    Yes, it is in that location.

Just turned the pooter on again, everything is working. Another SpyBot scan, Panda scan, AVG Virus Scan MS SPY and Mal scans and even AdAware scan showed up not so much as a cookie!
    One of those things I guess.
    Thanks for the input guys!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds