Adaware6.0

Discussion in 'Software' started by tatanni, Nov 13, 2004.

1. tatanni

tatanni Guest

I have Win95. I tried to uninstall Adaware6.0 so I could update to the new version but I cannot Uninstall it from Start/Programs list and its not listed in Add/Remove Programs. I am wondering if its becuz I had deleted the .exe file which I thought I could do after I had installed the program. How can I successfully get rid of this program...also the same thing with AVG6.0 which for some reason quit. I cannot uninstall it either. I need to reinstall these two programs. Thanks for all help.
    Correction: I need to Uninstall these 2 programs, and then Reinstall clean updated versions.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 13, 2004
  2. Cobra

Cobra Private First Class

Make sure you stop all of the AVG processes via Windows Task Manager. Go into the folder that AVG was installed in and delete that folder. Now you have to go into the registry and find all of the registry entries that AVG has. I don't know the exact uninstall registry keys and other keys that AVG has. I would go to gristsoft.com and see if there is anything there on manually uninstalling AVG.

3. madwethen

madwethen Private E-2

tatanni, I had the same problem and this is how they told me to uninstall AdAware 6.0 at the Lavasoft Support Forum. Its easy and it worked for me:

1) Click on my computer and navigate to your Lavasoft folder and delete it.

2) Delete your Lavasoft Ad-aware link in your start menu (if one is there)

3) Delete the icon(s) for Ad-aware on your desktop.

4) Delete the Lavasoft folder in C:\Documents and Settings\
    USER NAME\Application Data\Lavasoft\

NOTE: the following registry edits are not mandatory. The entries will be redundant and not be an issue if left in there. If you feel comfortable removing them, then do so.

5) Open regedit and delete the following key:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Lavasoft\Ad-aware

You may also have this key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\
    CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Ad-aware

6) Empty your Recycle Bin (Optional)

7) Reboot

8) Install the new Ad-aware SE

9) Check for Definition File UpDates!

Hope this helps!

4. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

Ad-Aware offers to uninstall the old version when you install it. That should do it. Optionally, using Windows Explorer, you can browse to their folders and look for a unwise.exe or uninstall.exe, etc.

5. tatanni

tatanni Guest

Thanks Major for your reply...and thanks to you Madwethen for your helpful instructions to delete Adaware 6.0. I did as you said, and A-A is no longer in my registry or start. I have d/l the updated AdawareSE version but have not installed it yet. My pc shows 390 MB with 94% System resources
    Re: AVG6.0...Thanks Cobra for your reply. I haven't yet deleted the AVG6.0 files/folders yet but I went ahead and d/loaded AVG7.0 which was 9.8 mb. Will I be able to install both these programs without any problems given the amount of MB on my harddrive? Thanks again to everyone for your kind responses.

6. tatanni

tatanni Guest

I am having problems trying to install the d/loaded AdAwaresepersonal.exe
    The msg I get is: "checking for previously installed components"...and then a blank page. (I have already uninstalled/deleted the old Ad-Aware6.0 version).
    Any ideas on how to successfully install the new program?

7. tatanni

tatanni Guest

I am having problems trying to install the d/loaded AdAwaresepersonal.exe
    The msg I get is: "checking for previously installed components"...and then a blank page. (I have already uninstalled/deleted the old Ad-Aware6.0 version).
    Any ideas on how to successfully install the new program?

8. GEEKWANNAB

GEEKWANNAB Private First Class

Hi Tat, I also run Win 95, and I couldn't install AdAware because it's not compatible with Win 95. See the lavasoft page, bout half way down, it says it's only compatible with Win 98 and higher.

You could try and e mail their support and double check , because apparently you had the previous version installed and running.

http://lavasoft.element5.com/support/faq/

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds