Adding a computer and shared folder to a workgroup in Win XP

Discussion in 'Software' started by loninappleton, Apr 22, 2014.

1. loninappleton

loninappleton Corporal

I have checked the similar thtreads and do not see specific topic related to this old and repeated problem for me. I will try to rephrase the question to cover all possibilities for an answer.

First: Though I have read many how-tos on adding a computer to a workgroup-- I have two but sometimes an OS error forces me to rebuild and install the OS from scratch. My workgroup name is called HOMENET as it appears when adding.

I see two computers on the workgroup in My Network Places.

Simple File Sharing is turned on on both machines.

Is there a reliable and repeatable guide with a checklist in some form that is printable so that I can consistently add one or two folders that can share both ways on the workgroup?

I have used the Sharing and Security dialog box and so on but still have
    errors in sharing with the other machine (just in another room.)

To review:

The workgroup is installed.
    Simple File Sharing is turned on on both machines.
    The two machines are seen in My Network Places
    There are folders with the 'pipe' symbol and the 'hand' but only one computer seems to acknowledge there are shared files.

The goal is to send media files simply from the established workgroup node which I'll call MSI to the newer installation via ethernet cable to the workgroup node called BIOSTAR.

Where can I find a reliable repeatable procedure that is simple to perform with minimum frustration? (I have seen the techniques for whole disk sharing using strange drive letters like J and K. Please avoid any mention of this since it is only confusing.) A guide for a workgroup specifically is needed.

Finally, have any of the newer Windows versions smoothed out the workgroup procedure such as being able to drag and drop a shared folder to ALL USERS or the like?

2. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

Step by step -

Setting computer name and workgroup

Right click My Computer > Properties > Computer Name tab. Click Change button to set computer name and workgroup name. Name needs to be unique, Workgroup must be same for all computers you want to be able to share their files.

Setup File and Printer Sharing

Click Start > Connect to > Show All Connections. Right click Local Area Connection > Properties and tick Client for Microsoft Networks and File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks.

Share your folders

Right click a folder you want to share, such as My Music, and click Sharing and Security. In the lower half of My Music Properties - Network Sharing and Security - tick Share this Folder on the Network. Assign a recognisable name, such as My Music on MSI, and tick if you want network users to be able to change files.

Repeat these steps on each XP system you want to be able to share folders, choosing whichever folders you want to share on each computer.

That's it, it really is dead easy, but do ask if you are still having problems.

EDIT - later versions of Windows are a bit more complex to set up due to the need to beef up security.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2014
  3. loninappleton

loninappleton Corporal

I will review the settings. As I recall that is all done when setting up with an ISP for internet connections but I will review them as you suggest.

Will report back if I see anything that should be changed as your instructions.

Thanks for answering.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds