adding a SATA drive to an IDE mobo

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bobberston, Mar 7, 2009.

1. bobberston

bobberston Private E-2

i recently purchased a 1TB SATA hard drive for my computer,
    as the motherboard (MSI Kt4 Ultra) uses IDE connections to hard drive, i also purchased a PCI card to plug the SATA drive into.

Now unfortunately I cannot seem to access the SATA drive, it's not showing up in bios and nor find any clues on the internet of how to install it

Any help will be greatly appreciated :)

2. bobberston

bobberston Private E-2

3. Novice

Novice MajorGeek

Did you get a driver disk with the PCI card? Also what OS that you are running would be helpful. :)

4. voodoo3rd

voodoo3rd Corporal

if you have loaded up the driver for the card go into disk Management look for your new SATA drive right click on the shaded area for this drive and select Format.

If your having trouble loading up the driver for the card try swapping the PCI slot its in.

5. bobberston

bobberston Private E-2

okay, got it working now, cheers :)

just out of curiosity, is this drive now suitable to install and run programs from?

(btw; I have windows XP installed on the older HD)

6. voodoo3rd

voodoo3rd Corporal

yes you can set-up the software on any drive, just create a folder on it called program files then when you set-up your software change the default location the software wants to install to, so if it wants to install to C:\program files just change the letter to D E or whatever the new drives letter is.

7. bobberston

bobberston Private E-2

great! thanks! :D

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds