Adding a SATA HD to Dell Dimension 8300

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ksnow, Sep 20, 2013.

1. ksnow

ksnow Private E-2

I am trying to add "WD Blue 1 TB Desktop Hard Drive: 3.5 Inch, 7200 RPM, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64 MB Cache" to my Dimension 8300. I easily installed it in the drive bay but when I look at the connections, I cannot figure out how to hook it up. I bought a SATA 7 pin power cable and think I know how to hook it up but the hard drive does not seem to take the cable connection like the existing drive. Do I need another type of SATA cable to connect the new hard drive to my computer? I am running Windows XP professional.

2. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

This model was made in 2003-2004, so I'm pretty sure it only has connections for an IDE (large ribbon cable 80-pin) drive on the motherboard.

For your boot disk, you will still have to use an IDE (80-pin) drive. You should be able to install the new SATA drive and a second (storage) drive using an adapter card that plugs into one of the motherboard's PCI slots.

http://www.amazon.com/SD-SATA-4P-Se...704067&sr=1-15&keywords=sata+adapter+pci+card

Hope this helps. :)

3. ksnow

ksnow Private E-2

I think I have two SATA connections on the motheroard (7pin) but I have been unable to find a picture of the 8300 motherboard to confirm. The SATA cable appears to fit there. The web site you gave me is very helpful but I am still not clear how this would work. I am wondering whether what I need to complete the install (in addition to the sata cable) is "Syba SY-CAB40007 Molex 4 Pin to 2x 15 Pin SATA Power Cable (5.5 Inches)" that I found associated with the card you recommended (on Amazon). Thanks so much for your help!

4. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

5. ksnow

ksnow Private E-2

Hi, Thank you. You have helped me. No, my SATA drive does not have a Molex connector. I will purchase a SATA power connector and expect this will solve my problem.
    I have kept a copy of the PCWorld article. I will unsubscribe for now. Katrina

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds