Adding a storage HDD to an existing Vista OEM

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Add|ct, Feb 4, 2008.

1. Add|ct

Add|ct Private E-2

I bought a 1 TB HDD for storage. I already had Vista Home Premium; OEM version, installed on a RAPTOR HDD and now want to connect this new HDD. Is it as simple as putting the HDD in the computer and connecting it to one of the SATA ports? Do I just format it through 'Computer' once the PC is booted again? I have AHCI turned on, but I'm not in a RAID mode. It won't be used as a boot device.

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Yes its as simple as that, I did smilar a few weeks back in adding a 1TB WD drive to complemement my RAID0 Array.

Pop in the drive, plug in the SATA power to the drive and SATA connector to a SATA port on the mobo, fire up the PC and just doble check in the BIOS that the Raptor C: Drive is still the boot drive as I noticed my BIOS put this new HD as the boot drive and thus gaining me a "no operating system found" error.

If your not in RAID mode the drives wont be added to a RAID array.

3. Add|ct

Add|ct Private E-2

Sweet. That's all I thought was to it, but when I initially did this system build I was using older storage HDDs that caused errors with the boot when I connected them. Come to find out they were physically almost dead.

Thanks for the clearifications.

4. mikkh

mikkh Private First Class

If you have more than one PC, it might be a good idea to put the new drive in an external case, then you can use it on all PC's, have the ability to take it with you on your travels - and use it in any alternate OS like Linux or MAC too

External HD cases are pretty cheap, and with USB2 it should be as fast as attaching it internally

5. Add|ct

Add|ct Private E-2

OK I just added the TB HDD and it shows up in the taskbar as a removable hardware but when I go to 'Computer' after logging into Vista it doesn't show it as removable storage or as a hard disk drive. Does it have to be plugged as a 'slave' to the boot HDD? Or on the same SATA port set?

6. Add|ct

Add|ct Private E-2

If this helps here is the MB I have:

My MB:
    http://www.gigabyte.us/Products/Motherboard/Products_Overview.aspx?ProductID=2634

Currently I have the Raptor with the OS on the yellow SATA ports and the TB HDD on the Purple Gigabyte SATA ports. Settings are for AHCI on both types of ports. Does the SATA version must be the same for it to function properly? I have the TB HDD with the 1.5 Gbp/s limiter removed. The Raptor is at 1.5 Gbp/s so does that make a difference?

Any ideas as to why I can't see the HDD though it is detected as removable storage?

7. mikkh

RIGHT click 'My Computer' pick 'Manage' then Disk Management in the storage section

It's a raw unformatted HD and needs to be formatted before Windows will 'see' it

Does it show up in 'disk management' ?

8. Add|ct

Add|ct Private E-2

That makes sense. I was trying to see it in the device list to format but I'll try that route instead. Will report back soon. :p

9. mikkh

...... Oh, and make sure you've got a book to read, or a film to watch, because formatting a HD this way takes a long LONG time :zzz

I usually use a bootable partition manager CD - usually Acronis Disk Director , because it takes a minute instead of hours

10. Add|ct

Add|ct Private E-2

I can see what you mean but it is definitely working now. Thanks for the help.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds