Adding attachments to email

Discussion in 'Software' started by Lavender, Oct 23, 2011.

1. Lavender

Lavender Master Sergeant

Sometimes it works, sometimes I can't find the file I want. It's a .jpg saved in Word2010 documents. I can find it at other times, but not when it's something I want to attach. Using Live Mail. Dell Vista.

2. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

That doesn't make sense. You're using Windows 7, right? If you click on your start button, you see the major standard folders that appear on all Windows computers; they Documents, Pictures, and Music. Of course, the user can create sub-folders in those folders or create folders completely outside of Documents, Pictures, and Music. Oh, a Downloads folder is also present on all Widows 7 systems, I believe, but you don't see it shown on the Start menu like you see Documents, Pictures, and Music.

One skill all Windows users should learn is how to navigate around through folders using Windows Explorer. Word2010 documents is not a folder unless you actually created a folder with that name. So, can you clarify where you normally save .jpg files?

3. Lavender

Lavender Master Sergeant

I'm using Vista and Word 2010. The document I wanted to attach was in a folder of documents but it wouldn't show up when I clicked 'attach'. It worked fine a couple of days ago so I'm mystified why it won't work now. I'll contact my ISP and see if they have an answer.

I should add that I don't use IE. Is that the Windows Explorer you are referring to?

Just checked. The document file in WE won't allow me to access it.

4. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

Lavender, you REALLY need some basic computer training. Your ISP has nothing to do with this; it has nothing to do with your Internet access.

IE means Internet Explorer, Microsoft's web browser. It is not the same thing as Windows Explorer. Again, this points to the need for basic computer training.

So, you see the file you want to attach, is that correct? If so, what happens when you try to open it?

5. Lavender

Lavender Master Sergeant

I'm not allowed to access it when I try to attach it to an email.

6. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

Well, I'm gonna jump ship on ya. We can't see what and how you're using your computer and cases like yours here take more patience than I can muster now. Perhaps someone else will take stab at it.

7. Lavender

Lavender Master Sergeant

Probably as well because we don't appear to talk the same English. You asked me to repeat what I had already said. In my first post, I said I had Dell Vista, but you asked if I was using Windows 7.

I've never claimed to be a geek and have said so several times, but I am dealing with someone who enters my PC and makes changes to my programs, including disabling security programs. I doubt many people could handle that.

However, thank you for responding and trying to help.

8. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

My mistake on the OS. It's Vista, not 7.

That was not mentioned in this discussion. Was that another topic?

Based on your comments in this discussion, you don't understand how to navigate to folders and files when doing email attachments or any other task that requires folder navigation. This a basic knowledge for a computer user and that's where I'm getting a bit frustrated with this. Sorry about that. I'd like to help but it's late and I need to call it quits for tonight.

9. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

Has this Vista system been Vista from new or was it upgraded from XP at some point? I ask because if it was upgraded from XP there may be two Documents folders visible when you are trying to attach a file - Documents (which is the one you want) and My Documents (a leftover from XP which you will not be able to access). I won't go into the whys and wherefores - just make sure you are trying to attach your file from the right folder.

I have to agree with usaf, some training in the basics of using Windows would be beneficial both to you and to us ;)

10. Lavender

Lavender Master Sergeant

Thanks. The only change was when the OS had to be re-installed. They made it a 64-bit rather than 32. But attachments worked two days ago.

One files I was looking for is in Windows Photo Gallery which will not appear for attaching. The other is also a .jpg document saved in a Word 2010 file. Both Access Denied for uploading and attaching.

Training? Odd that I need training when I must have known how to do it two days ago or it wouldn't have worked then. I have made no changes to programs. I can't speak for what someone else did.

11. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

This well illustrates what we are saying about the need for training Lavender. Windows Photo Gallery is not a folder on your computer, it is a collection of shortcuts to other folders, and you cannot save a jpg document in a Word file. A Word file is .docx, and .jpg is a picture file - they are two completely different things.

12. Lavender

Lavender Master Sergeant

I agree, WPG is just a place where I keep photos and videos. Some .jpgs are stored together with text documents under a certain file (listed in Word) so everything pertaining to that is in one place.

Removing Panda might well sort out this problem because I'm having problems I've never experienced before. My first ever computer was the original IBM back in 1983 and I've never had such a mess as I have on this one on any other computer.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds