Adding bookmarks a pain in Firefox

Discussion in 'Software' started by mcsmc, Sep 2, 2008.

1. mcsmc

mcsmc MajorGeek

When I first installed Firefox (less than 2 months ago), adding bookmarks worked normally. Now, every time I go to add a bookmark, it's "stuck" on a bookmark I added awhile back. So, to add new bookmarks, I have to add it as that, then change the name and link in the bookmark properties every time. Very annoying!

Does anyone know how to fix this PLEASE? Thanks.

Specs:

OS is Vista Ultimate SP1 (32 bit)
    Firefox version is 3.0.1
    Firefox addons are in attached screenshot

(I think non-related) specs:
    Core Duo processor T2300 @ 1.66Ghz
    1.5GB RAM
    Hard drive: 291GB formatted (320GB drive) with 57.1GB free (not divided into partitions)

Attached Files:

2. mcsmc

mcsmc MajorGeek

Thanks Mark, I'll look into your suggestions. However, this install is rather fresh altogether; Vista and Firefox 3 were installed about 2 months ago as a clean install. Firefox updated from 3.0 to 3.0.1, but that's a very minor software change that I doubt had anything to do with it? Either way, I hope your information can help me get the issue fixed. I'll let ya know!

3. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

Mark Trent has given very specific instructions that I'm sure are accurate.

For what it is worth, when FF gets stuck on some setting ie. browser window opens in a strange size and won't remember to open maximized or some such--I've learned that closing FF and deleting localstore.rdf file and then re-opening FF (it creates the localstore.rdf anew) usually fixes things. I haven't tried this on FF3 but it can't hurt as a possible simple fix.

Close FF
    Start>Run>type in %appdata% in window that opens: Mozilla>FireFox>Profiles>####.default delete localstore.rdf
    Restart FF

4. mcsmc

mcsmc MajorGeek

Well, I hate resurrecting old threads as much as anyone, but needless to say, my problem didn't go away on its own. In fact, now I'm unable to add anymore bookmarks. If I try to add one, it simply replaces the last bookmark I successfully added. So now I'm working through backing up my profile and performing a clean install (pretty much step by step by your advice, Mark). I'll update progress in this thread.

I do have one addon that I Googled as to modifying, as it's one of the most useful addons in my opinion. SnapLinks... saves a TON of mouse clicks. It's modified to work with FFv3 (I actually told it that it was good up to FFv4 heh). I sure hope that isn't the issue, since that's my most used addon.

5. mcsmc

mcsmc MajorGeek

Update:

First off, I tried your method Sach2, but this issue apparently was too stubborn to fix itself after one file was deleted and recreated.

So, I backed up my old profile (copied the folder to the Desktop), downloaded the latest Firefox setup file from http://www.getfirefox.com, uninstalled Firefox, rebooted, removed the Mozilla folder from %appdata% and Program Files (they were still there), ran CCleaner's cleanup and registry scan (it found a bunch of things with the registry scan... maybe I should use it more often ;) ), installed a fresh copy of Firefox, imported bookmarks from the old profile folder (JSON file), and installed the following Add-Ons (yes, I realize you said one at a time... but I depend on my add-ons!):

CustomizeGoogle
    Gmail Notifier
    Adblock Plus
    PDF Download
    United States English Dictionary
    FlashGot
    DAP Integration
    Greasemonkey
    A freshly downloaded, freshly modified copy of SnapLinks (v0.0.4)

And, of course, the much-needed theme Aquatint Black Gloss. :-D

So far, no issues. Bookmarks add normally. I will update in this thread if the issue resurfaces. Thanks for the help, both of you. :)

Do you think it was possible because I imported my bookmarks from a Firefox v2 HTML backup file, that it messed up somehow?

6. mcsmc

mcsmc MajorGeek

I realize I can still edit my above post, but this deserves another separate post:

What I thought was an unrelated problem (to the bookmarks issue) is also resolved now.

I was having random right-click context menu items automatically select, apparently at random. I would have to right click several times (often moving the mouse to a different location each time helped) and cancel whatever automatic selection was made, to actually GET a right-click context menu to pop up and let me select what I wanted to do.

Now, I can right click anywhere, anytime, on any page, with no issues.

Isn't that a strange one.

7. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

Glad you got things sorted. I hope there was a very good reason for FF to change their bookmark system--it just seems buggy to me. [to Mark Trent: I'm just venting. :)]

Thanks for the SnapFiles addon idea, mcsmc. I'm trying this version to see if I like it. So far I do, I never realized how exhausting mousing over to a link and having to click it had been. :-D

8. mcsmc

mcsmc MajorGeek

Yeah, SnapLinks is the best add-on ever. It's perfect for forum browsing (open all threads with new replies in separate tabs with one dragbox, instead of clicking on each one, clicking the back button or return to forum thread list link, click the next one, etc.). It's also great for Google results, and pretty much everything.

It's easy to modify the add-on yourself. Simply use 7-Zip, or your favorite compression program, and unzip the XPI file. Then, open the file "install.rdf" in Notepad, locate the
    Code:
    <em:maxVersion></em:maxVersion>
    tags (with the number in between them), change the number to something better than the version you have (I put 4.0), save it, rezip all of the files you extracted (using ZIP compression, "store" compression method), and rename the file extension from ZIP to XPI again. Voila.

9. mcsmc

mcsmc MajorGeek

Interesting Add-on... thanks for the tip.;)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds