adding external hard drive

Discussion in 'Software' started by roddinron, May 31, 2006.

1. roddinron

roddinron Corporal

I was going to order a 250 gig external HD to my older pc ( 1 gig athlon, win ME) but I know that there is an issue in using a HD that big. Is there a way to make full use of this without added expense or should I just go with a smaller one? The tiger direct deal ends today, so I'm sort of pressed for time. I did a search, but I'm pressed for time so any info of what I'm getting into would be appreciated.

2. roddinron

roddinron Corporal

3. prometheos

prometheos Staff Sergeant

Your max is about 137 GB without a disk manager program. Most hard drive manufacturers provide disk manager programs, free of charge, on their web sites.

4. roddinron

roddinron Corporal

thanks for the reply, what does a disk manager program do? Does it just create partitions? If so how big would these partitions be, 137gig?

5. prometheos

The disk manager's primary job is to provide a block translation table for your BIOS. They usually call it Dynamic Drive Overlay(DDO). But, recently, they have also provided a 48-bit LBA compliant driver, to replace the older 28-bit LBA driver we've all been living with. This driver may come bundled with your new hard drive on a floppy disk, or you can download from the OEMs web page. And yes, some of these Drive Manager programs provide for "low level format", "OS-level format" as well as partitioning and drive-letter reassignments.

6. prometheos

For anyone wishing to use large drives with Windows98 or WindowsMe, the website 48bitlba.com seems to provide some very useful tips. Check it out.
    http://www.48bitlba.com/win98.htm

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds