Adding printers on a locked down account

Discussion in 'Software' started by BigJohnStud, Jul 26, 2007.

1. BigJohnStud

BigJohnStud Private E-2

So, we have several locked down accounts here, so locked down you can't right click, no run command, can't start a new task thru task manager, etc. Let's just say they really don't trust some people around here.;)

Now, in order to add a printer, you need to know the full path of the printer, which can be a big pain sometimes. Question, is there any way to browse the server for a printer while logged on as the locked down account? I was thinking a runas from cmd prompt, but there is no cmd prompt. Tried browsing thru an explorer window but it doesn't even prompt for credentials, just ACCESS DENIED!!! :cry I know this may sound pretty trivial, but it would make life a lot easier if there was a nice, easy, slick way to do this. Anyone have any thoughts??

Thanks in advance cause I know you guys are super smart and will have an answer before I can even :crap :D

2. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

An account with administrative rights on the computer can access Printers And Faxes remotely, if that is of any use? (ie, add printers from ANOTHER computer that ISN'T locked down). Think this only works in a domain setting, so it may not be that helpful.

3. BigJohnStud

BigJohnStud Private E-2

Yes it is on a domain. I know I can access the printers from another pc but how would you actually add one? Do you think some sort of script would do the trick? Thanks for the quick reply too.

4. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

No scripts required!

Here's how:

Run --> \\computername

[​IMG]

Double-click 'Printers And Faxes'

[​IMG]

Hit the 'Add Printer' link to start the wizard. (Also available on the 'File' menu)

Note this works for installing printers locally on the machine (network and parallel & USB connections). I haven't been able to find an easier way to connect to shared printers, sadly. Can you log in as an account that ISN'T locked down in these cases?

5. BigJohnStud

BigJohnStud Private E-2

Thanks for the help here Mada. I should have thought of this myself, I'm a little ashamed.:eek: This is cool and all, but the real problem is how they have the network directories set up. You have to browse from the top of the tree aaaaaalllll the way down until you find your printer. No quick browsing, can't really search by model cause most of the info is half-a$$. Can't browse by location cause, I don't know, I guess corporate just didn't feel like organizing anything. Well, with that rant out of the way, thanks for the replies. This is surely easier than logging on and off just to add a printer.

6. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

FWIW, if you could get to the add printer wizard on one of these locked down computers, you can choose the 'Network Printer' option, and not enter any computer or printer name, and it will give you a list of computers with shared out printers. From there, it's just a matter selecting the right one, and the computer will install the drivers, etc.

Not sure that helps with a locked down computer, though. Group policies are a sunnuvagun. At least you wouldn't have to locate it through Windows Explorer.

7. BigJohnStud

BigJohnStud Private E-2

Yes they are a sunnuvagun. Especially when you don't have access to change them. Thanks for all the help!!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds