Adding programs to startup

Discussion in 'Software' started by GrreatRon, Jan 12, 2006.

1. GrreatRon

GrreatRon Sergeant

I would like to set up a few more of my apps to start whenever I turn on my computer. I always start those anyway as soon as I turn on my 'puter. How do I do that?

2. AbbySue

AbbySue MajorGeeks Administrator

I use StartupCPL. Additionally, if you have more than one account you can send the selected program to run at startup in all accounts with a simple right click.

3. Prophets21

Prophets21 Staff Sergeant

Just add it to the startup folder, start>all programs>startup.

4. BrokenArrows

BrokenArrows Sergeant

To do this you need to open regedit. Go to start->Run and type regedit.

Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

After clicking on Run you should see a list of programs that currently are set to startup

Right click here and click New->String Value

Name the new Value whatever you want. Then double click on it to change the data.

In the data space enter the path to the program that you want to start.

5. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

You're completely right here, but wouldn't this be easier with MSCONFIG, the GUI that accesses these keys? I think simply adding the executables (or a shortcut to them) to the startup folder of the desired users is probably the best bet. They are in c:\documents and settings\username\start menu\programs\startup.

If I recall correctly, GrreatRon IS running Windows XP, so he should have msconfig, as well as the above paths.

6. AbbySue

I still vote for StartupCPL.:D It's easy to use and has a tiny foot print. Programs are also easily deleted from startup easier via StartupCPL than using msconfig and as programs are identified not only by name but with an icon they are easier to identify in most cases. I have been using it since I was running win98 years ago and won't use anything else. They even recommend it's use in the Maleware forum now.:)

7. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Well, having never used this app, I couldn't comment on it, but I will perhaps have to give it a check out. Thanks for the tip, AbbySue!

8. GrreatRon

GrreatRon Sergeant

Thanks to all who wrote with advice. I'm going to try StartupCPL 'cuz it seems simplest and easiest. I do have msconfig but didn't have the apps I wanted to add in that list and didn't know how to add them. I went to Explore but didn't how or what to add to the Start folder.

But, again, thanks - I always get help from you guys!

9. AbbySue

ehemm! guys?:mad:;) J/K

Hope it works out for ya!:)

Another one of my favs that I won't be without is StartupMonitor by the same author. Anything tries to register to run at startup it can't unless you give it permission to do so. Doesn't matter what it is. Often times when installing software it asks permission to run at startup and even when you click no it still registers to do so. With startup monitor it can't get through once you say no. Maleware/viruses, etc. can't sneak into your startup either as you would be alerted that something is trying to register.

10. BrokenArrows

BrokenArrows Sergeant

MSCONFIG cannot be used to add programt o the startup. It can only be used to select or deselect items that are already scheduled for startup

11. GrreatRon

GrreatRon Sergeant

I kind of thought that but what I wanted to know was how to schedule these other apps in MSCONFIG.

12. BrokenArrows

BrokenArrows Sergeant

The method i posted above allows you to use them in msconfig.

13. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

Why would you want to edit the registry when you could do the same in a fraction of the time, and it's also much safer?

Editing the registry should be a last, and not first, resort.

There are almost always more than one way to do things in Windows, and they can all be correct.

14. GrreatRon

GrreatRon Sergeant

thanks for your suggestions. I have gotten the program to startup that I wanted. I had to play with Startup Control some because I wasn't sure which section to put them in: User, HKCU/Run, or HKLM/Run. What is the difference in these sections? There are different startup programs in each one. I think Startup (common) has to do with NT and I have XP so I didn't think I should put any programs there.

Thanks again.

15. AbbySue

Rather than trying to explain it myself here is a copy/paste right from Mike Lins site that explains the different sections/options:

The dialog contains six to seven tabs, depending on your system configuration. Each tab represents one place where a program can be registered to run at system startup. These include:
    • [FONT=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Startup (user)[/FONT][FONT=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] - the current user's Startup folder in the Start Menu.[/FONT]
    • [FONT=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Startup (common) - the common (all users) Startup folder in the Start Menu. Appears only on NT and multi-user Win9x systems.[/FONT]
    • [FONT=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]HKLM / Run - the Run registry key located in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE. These apply for all users.[/FONT]
    • [FONT=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]HKCU / Run - the Run registry key located in HKEY_CURRENT_USER. These apply for the current user only.[/FONT]
    • [FONT=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Services - system services that are started before the user logs in. Does not appear on NT since it has its own Services control panel.[/FONT]
    • [FONT=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Run Once - started once and once only at the next system startup.[/FONT]
    • [FONT=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Deleted - programs go to the Deleted tab when you remove them from another location. They will not run at system startup, but will merely be stored should you ever want to use them again. If you delete an item from the Deleted tab, it is removed permanently.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Each page contains a list of the programs registered at that location. To manipulate them, right-click (or press Shift-F10). You can select multiple items using the Shift and Control keys. Options include:[/FONT]
    • [FONT=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]New... - create a new entry. Note that you can also drag & drop files from My Computer or Explorer.[/FONT]
    • [FONT=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Edit... - edit an existing entry.[/FONT]
    • [FONT=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Delete - delete the currently selected entry.[/FONT]
    • [FONT=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Disable / Enable - disable or enable the selected entry. A disabled program will appear in the list with a special icon, and will not run at system startup. You can also use the checkbox next to an item to enable or disable it.[/FONT]
    • [FONT=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Run Now - executes the program now.[/FONT]
    • [FONT=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Send To - moves the entry from the current location to another.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]You can also press F5 to refresh the list at any time.[/FONT]

That help?:)

16. GrreatRon

GrreatRon Sergeant

I went to the web site and found the same info. Since I am the only user I was just wondering why I couldn't put all of the startup apps in, say, Startup (user) or HKLM / Run or HKCU / Run. Not too important I guess - just trying to learn a bit more.

BTW, I also downloaded Startup Monitor and it has already been at work.

17. AbbySue

Sure it is! Without wondering we would never figure it out or understand to begin with!:)

I wish I could look at mine and tell you how I have mine set up for sure but my puter is still down. I only have one account set up (admin) I'm pretty sure I have everything that I want running set to run for current user only. When I still lived in NY I had a second account set up so that if my kids were visiting with their kids and anyone wanted to use my puter I had some things set to run globally just for security purposes but it doesn't sound like that is something you would need to do.

So you like StartupMonitor so far then? Personally, I'd be lost without it! Have had some close calls with things when mainly screening links that people have posted...had it not been for the immediate alert I received I may have had major problems.:eek:

18. GrreatRon

GrreatRon Sergeant

I'm going to put all of them in Startup (user) and see how it works. I wonder if the order in which they are listed have anything to do with how they load? I'll let you know what turns up.

19. Insomniac

Having them in a certain order won't necessarily mean they load in that order.

They might start in that order, but different programs take different times to load.

As far as Mike Lins programs are concerned, I'm a huge fan of them, especially StartUp Control Panel.

20. GrreatRon

GrreatRon Sergeant

I don't know beans about the mechanics of how a computer works but does that mean that they all start together and the fastest ones win? Or, if they start in sequence, is there a period of time before the next starts, like 2 seconds or 13 seconds? Please continue to enlighten me.

21. Insomniac

They would start in order they are put in, then it's down to the fastest one.

If you want to delay one or several, you can create a batch file, or even easier, use something like BatchRun.

22. GrreatRon

GrreatRon Sergeant

Thanks for the enlightenment. I noticed that all the apps in Startup Control are in alphabetical order as well as in with the exception of ZoneAlarm. Can this be changed ? BTW, how can I get rid of the apps in msconfig that I don't use or have uninstalled? Tell me more about BatchRun.

23. Insomniac

The easiest way to get rid of startup programs in msconfig is to use StartUp Control Panel. It's on Mike Lins' page.

It will add a Control Panel icon. It's pretty simple once you see it.

Not much more I can say about Batchrun that I haven't already said. It allows you to start one or more programs and set a delay if you wish.

Vist the site (it's free) and you will learn more than I could ever tell you.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds