Address bar questions..........

Discussion in 'Software' started by Strange1, Jan 3, 2009.

1. Strange1

Strange1 Staff Sergeant

:cry Ok, I've searched on this forum, no luck. Here's the situation.....I have a Dell 4600 with XP Home. Running FF 3.0.5 version. I can't clear the address (url) area. I have tried as suggested, no luck. There are 12 locations in the dropdown and I can't get rid of them and everything else I type in there does not join them. Previous versions of FF would allow new ones to override and remove old ones. Now the ones I have there stays. I have right clicked on the bar and clicked 'delete' and what is showing in the bar appears to be deleted but when I activate the dropdown it is still there. I have followed instructions and used tools/options/privacy/private date/ clear now...no luck. What in the world am I doing wrong or not doing at all. If you need more info just ask. Thanks in advance.

Jack

2. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

FF has added with the last upgrade the 'Smart Location Bar'. I''m not sure if this is part of the problem you are having, but you can actually get rid of that so you have the traditional url function:

Type about:config in your url box > Search for urlbar>

Doubleclick on browser.urlbar.maxRichResults > Set to 2 > Ok

Double click onbrowser.urlbar.matchOnlyTyped > Set to True

Restart FF

If you don't want to do that because you like the smart bar, you can try this add on:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/4072

3. Strange1

Strange1 Staff Sergeant

Hate to be such a pest. Did as directed. When about:config opened checked and no URL in alphabet of listed subject. Would it perhaps be listed with someone other word first? Thanks for you feedback. Just realized do not have that FF bar and don't need/want it. Is this a weird situation? I've also tried clearing my address bar with CCleaner and other means. Maybe I'll have to live with it.

Jack

4. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

Just to make sure: You should be on FF when doing this.

After going to about:config

In the 'filter' bar copy and paste "browser.urlbar" (without the quotes).

It should pull it up for you automatically.

Let me know how it works out.

5. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

Here's a technique for deleting one at a time. Click the arrow to display the drop down list of previously visited sites. Point your mouse to one of the URLs you want to remove and hit the Delete key.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds