Address Not Found - FireFox can't find the server at www.majorgeeks.com

Discussion in 'Software' started by Oooops!, May 9, 2009.

1. Oooops!

Oooops! MajorGeek

Hi!

I'm receiving this error, "Address Not Found - FireFox can't find the server at www.majorgeeks.com".

I used to have Comodo Internet Security, but I was told by my ISP that my firewall was creating the problem. I've since cleaned that out and installed PC Tools Firewall. It's an on and off problem.
    Avast AntiVirus.
    :(

(I had a post a while back that might be of some helpful information, maybe related?)
    http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=186760

Attached Files:

2. Cat_w_9_lives

Cat_w_9_lives Major KittyCat

3. Oooops!

Oooops! MajorGeek

I don't see "PC Tools" Firewall in the list?

4. oma

oma MajorGeek

Oooops, do you have the above problem with MG's site only or other websites as well?

I'm wondering how you uninstalled CIS? Did you remove it from Add/Remove Programs only? If so, there may be some remnants left of CIS. If that's the case, you may want to read the link below and download the tool to remove all remnants of CIS? http://forums.comodo.com/empty-t36499.0.html Reboot after using the tool if you decide to do so.

Hope it helps and please let us know if the above worked for you if you do go ahead and try out the tool.

Sorry, I don't have any other answers for you. Perhaps someone else will be able to help you further along if the above doesn't work out for you.

5. Cat_w_9_lives

Cat_w_9_lives Major KittyCat

6. Oooops!

Oooops! MajorGeek

- The error occurs on various websites in both FireFox 3.0.10 and Internet Explorer 8.
    - No remnants of Commodo Internet Security found using the tool.
    - Regarding my earlier thread, things seemed fine until now. I don't remember leaving any steps out?
    - I remember someone suggesting added DNS entry, 4.2.2.1. to the computer. I don't quite understand this DNS stuff.

Is there another Firewall that I should try for the more inexperienced user that would possibly avoid this problem?

7. Oooops!

Oooops! MajorGeek

8. Oooops!

Oooops! MajorGeek

I tried out https://www.opendns.com/start and so far I'm no longer receiving the "Address not found/server error" in either FireFox or Internet Explorer.

Just to note, I might not be explaining myself too well...
    Both this thread and my old thread were of the same problem, "address/server not found". After following the steps in the old thread, things seemed to have worked themselves out. But then the same error started happening all over again, which lead me to start a fresh new thread. It was thought that my Firewall was creating the problem, I've tried 2 so far (making sure the old one was uninstalled) but I had the same address/server error again. I've tried Comodo Internet Security, then I switched to PC Tools Firewall Plus and I still end up with the same problem.
    Sorry for the confusion with 2 threads.

Maybe this "open DNS" thingy will be the solution? So far so good.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds