admin password issue - windows vista

Discussion in 'Software' started by twobournes, Nov 20, 2011.

1. twobournes

twobournes Private E-2

I'm running Windows Vista Home Premium on a laptop with fingerprint login (Protector Suite QL Edition). So, I can login to windows as an admin no problem w/o using a password...however, i recently had an issue that caused me to have to boot in safe mode which requires the password and, you guessed it, I cannot remember the admin password I setup when I initially setup the laptop. Since I can get into the system as the admin is there any way to retrieve the password or delete it without knowing it? I've tried using the fingerprint recognition function in the "remove password" program under user settings, but that doesn't work.

2. Lavender

Lavender Master Sergeant

Ouch! I feel for you.

Is there a program in MJ's Covert Ops list that might help?

Good luck!

3. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

4. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

Trinity should work fine. I'll just give another possibility if you want to stay within Windows.

You might try creating a new account with administrative privileges (Control Panel>User Accounts). Then log into that account and you should be able to change or remove the password on your current account.

When done, once you have tested the ability to get into your normal account using both the new password and the fingerprint reader, you can delete the temporary admin account you created.

5. twobournes

twobournes Private E-2

I knew there had to be a simple fix, I just couldn't think it up. Thanks sach2! That did the trick.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds