administrative / limited dual accounts & the internet

Discussion in 'Software' started by BobLewiston, Feb 25, 2010.

1. BobLewiston

BobLewiston Private E-2

In Windows XP, in addition to an administrative account, I have a limited account for the internet (to help safeguard against malware).

Should I log off of my administrative account before accessing the net via my limited account?

And is there any way for a website to infect you other than actually going to that website?

2. brandypeppy

brandypeppy MajorGeek

Yes, the safest is to log off, then back on under the limited account. (I believe you can also change users in the control panel, but I don't have XP in front of me).

On the second, merely visiting a web-site doesn't infect you, it's usually what you do or respond to when you get there. Like a pop-up warning you of an infection, click here to scan, etc. And most viruses require admin privileges to install.

I believe this is true as long as you've got your OS, anti-virus, firewall, and browser protection settings on and up to date. As least, I've never seen an infection by a visit, not including tracking cookies. But, that is still a list requiring constant vigilance.

Maybe somebody knows better?:wave:wave

3. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

You should be able to log off one account and into another .....but keep them both password protected. You could also install sandboxie on the limited account.

And, yes, you can be infected by just visiting a web site. Another good reason to install WOT or McAfee Site checker.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2010
  4. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds